Use this service to:
- report actual income from self-employment if you estimated it when you renewed (the deadline is 31 January)
- tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) about changes to your circumstances, for example you get married or your working hours change
- find out how much and when you’ll be paid
This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
Before you start
If you’re signing in to the service for the first time, you’ll need:
- a Government Gateway user ID and password - if you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you use the service
- a permanent National Insurance number
You also need to prove your identity. You can use one of the following as proof:
- your bank account details
- your P60
- your 3 most recent payslips
- your passport number and expiry date
Signing in will also activate your personal tax account - you can use this to check and manage your HMRC records.
Renewing your tax credits
Most tax credit claims will be renewed automatically in 2020. You’ll still get a renewal pack in the post. The renewal pack will tell you if you need to do anything to renew.
If you have not received your renewal pack by 29 May 2020, contact HMRC.
You cannot claim tax credits and Universal Credit at the same time. Your tax credits will stop if you or your partner apply for Universal Credit. Check how tax credits and Universal Credit affect each other.