5. Going to court

You may have to go to court if the other person or business denies owing the money, and they defend the case.

Small claims

If your case is a small claim - under £10,000 - it may be dealt with using written evidence, without a hearing.

If there is a hearing, you can:

  • represent yourself
  • pay for a barrister or solicitor to represent you
  • ask someone to speak on your behalf, like your partner or an advice worker - you must get the court’s permission

Small claims hearings can be held in the judge’s room or a court-room at a county court.

Cases worth more than £10,000

There may be a more formal hearing if you’re claiming for more than £10,000 and you should get legal advice.

After the hearing

The court will send you a letter giving you its decision and any actions you need to take.

You may be able to appeal the decision - you can ask the Citizen’s Advice Bureau for advice on appealing.