You must tell Companies House about any changes to your company’s share structure that you make outside your confirmation statement.

You may need a special resolution to change your company’s share structure. This includes if you:

  • change the number of shares the company has and their total value - this is your ‘share capital’ (the part of your company’s money that comes from shares)
  • change how your shares are distributed
  • cancel any of your shares
  • change (‘denominate’) your shares into other currencies

You must tell Companies House within a month if you issue more shares in your company.

You must report all other changes to your share structure within 21 days.

Documents you must provide

You must include a notice about the change you’ve made and a statement declaring:

  • the company’s total number of shares
  • the total value of those shares
  • how many shares have been paid for or not paid for

This is sometimes known as a ‘statement of capital’.

Your shares may be normal (‘ordinary’) or have special rights or restrictions.

For each type of share your company has, you must declare:

  • the rights that come with it
  • how many of the shares are issued
  • their total value before any additional costs are added

An accountant can help you prepare your statement of capital.

Register online

You can register changes to the shares your company issues online.

You must register all other changes to your shares by post.

Register by post

You can send your changes by post. Download and fill in the share change forms depending on the changes you’re making.

Send your completed forms, a copy of your resolution if needed and your statement of capital to the address on the forms.