4. Apply for a decree absolute

You can apply for a decree absolute 6 weeks after you get the decree nisi.

In these cases, it’s also called a ‘decree of nullity’. This is the final legal document which says that the marriage has been annulled.

To apply for a decree of nullity, fill in the notice of application for decree nisi to be made absolute.

A decree absolute costs £45. This fee won’t apply if you filed your petition after 1 July 2013, as it’s now part of the petition fee.

When you return your forms

The court will check if there are any reasons that the marriage can’t be annulled. In most cases, you don’t need to go to court for this.

If the court is happy, it will send you the decree of nullity. This will confirm that you’re no longer married.