How tax credits and other benefits affect each other

Child Benefit payments aren’t affected by any tax credits you get, but other benefits like Housing Benefit are.

If you get tax credits, you may get less:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit

Contact the office that pays your benefits to work out how tax credits affect your benefits.

Other help you might qualify for

If you get tax credits you might also get help with:

  • prescriptions and other health-related costs
  • vitamins, milk and food if you’re pregnant or have a child under 4
  • maternity costs - you may get a £500 payment (called a ‘Sure Start Maternity Grant’)
  • school costs, including school meals, uniforms, transport and trips
  • funeral costs
  • court fees, legal costs and prison visits
  • home repairs from your council
  • heating and energy costs

You may need to prove you get tax credits to receive extra help.

You can show your Tax Credits award notice as proof. If your tax credits are automatically renewed, you can show your TC 603 R form instead.

Call the Tax Credit Helpline if you don’t have either of these documents.

How other benefits affect your tax credits

Whether you qualify for tax credits and how much you get depends on your income. Some benefits, including some foreign benefits, count as income.

Universal Credit

Your tax credits will stop if you claim Universal Credit.

Disability benefits

If you or your child get disability benefits you may get extra tax credits.