This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what beta means

HMRC internal manual

Repayment Claims Manual

RA action: New cases

If the allocation officer asks you to set up a new case before you receive a claim form you will be given the information you need.

Take the following action

  • allocate a reference from the District record of claims references. The reference must consist of one letter and up to five numbers
  • use the first letter of the taxpayer’s surname followed by the next unused number for that letter
  • prepare a R133 in the name of the taxpayer if you are told that it is a file case and put the claims reference on it.The allocation officer will give you a D or CT reference for certain cases (RM1246). Cross reference the D or CT and Claims file covers

  • go to RM1500 to set the case up and issue the claim form