Help if you have a disabled child

Skip to contents of guide


Your local council’s Family Information Service can give you details about childcare in your local area.

You can also ask them about other specialist services that your child may need because of their disability.

Help with childcare costs

All 3 and 4 year olds are entitled to 15 hours of free education for 38 weeks of the year - read the information on childcare and tax credits for more details.

Some 2-year-olds (even if they have an education, health and care plan or get Disability Living Allowance) are also entitled to the 15 hours of free education.

You can also get direct payments from your local council to help pay for childcare.

If you’re working, you may be able to get up to £4,000 a year to help pay for childcare for a disabled child through Tax-Free Childcare.