Water grants 2015: pipework associated with livestock troughs (LV8)

Eligibility and requirements for pipework associated with the livestock troughs.

This guidance was withdrawn on

Capital items for improving water quality are now available through the Mid Tier of Countryside Stewardship.

Applies to England

Farmers and other land managers can apply for water grants.

Read the accompanying guidance to find out more about Countryside Stewardship water grants 2015.

How much will be paid

£2.65 per metre.

Where the item is available

This item is available in Catchment Sensitive Farming target areas. It can only be used on sites where livestock are unable to access stream or surface waters.

When this item can’t be used

It can’t be used to replace existing equipment in the same location.

The trough must not be placed:

  • under housing or roof structures;
  • within 10m of watercourses;
  • on areas vulnerable to soil erosion; or
  • within 6m of historical or archaeological features.

How this item will benefit the environment

This item will provide livestock with an alternative to drinking from watercourses. It will reduce bank erosion, sediment pollution and the faecal contamination of watercourses.


Applicants must send dated photographs of the existing site with their application for this item.

On the land

Successful applicants will need to:

  • make sure the pipework is made of medium-density blue polyethylene and has an external diameter of at least 25mm;
  • make sure that all the joints are made of brass or plastic and that they’re watertight;
  • bury the pipework below the cultivation depth and to at least 600mm (or as determined by your local water supplier);
  • cover the pipe with a tubular steel guard or sleeve pipe if it crosses an open ditch;
  • lay the pipe 600mm below the ditch to allow for ditch cleaning;
  • lay the pipe on a 75mm bed of sand if it crosses farm tracks and then cover it with a further 100mm of sand, before overlaying it with backfill; and
  • make sure that the pipe meets the relevant British Standards - check the most up-to-date standards.

Keeping records

Successful applicants will need to keep:

  • dated photographs of the site taken while the work is being carried out (submit these with any claim and show them on inspection); and
  • copies of all receipted invoices and bank statements relating to this work.

What must not be done

Do not:

  • damage any historic or environmental features; and
  • allow overflow or leaks to contribute to runoff, ponding or erosion in the field.

This item can be used with the following items:

Published 2 March 2015