This guidance was withdrawn on
Capital items for improving water quality are now available through the Mid Tier of Countryside Stewardship.
Eligibility and requirements for pasture pumps and associated pipework.
Farmers and other land managers can apply for water grants.
Read the accompanying guidance to find out more about Countryside Stewardship water grants 2015.
How much will be paid
£220 per unit.
Where the item is available
This item is available in Catchment Sensitive Farming target areas. It can only be used on sites where livestock are unable to access stream or surface waters.
When this item can’t be used
This item can’t be used to replace existing equipment in the same location.
How this item will benefit the environment
This item will provide livestock with an alternative to drinking from watercourses. It will reduce bank erosion, sediment pollution and the faecal contamination of watercourses.
Applicants must send dated photographs of the existing site with their application for this item.
On the land
Successful applicants will need to:
- install a low-lift, animal-operated pasture pump;
- secure the pump to robust, preserved timber;
- make sure the hardstanding area around the pump is at least 1m by 1m;
- dig the hardstanding area to a depth of at least 150mm, or down to a naturally occurring hard surface;
- compact the hardcore on a geotextile liner to a depth of at least 150mm;
- edge the hardstanding area with preserved timber (no smaller than 150mm by 50mm);
- use medium-density polyethylene pipework with an external diameter of at least 25mm.
- make sure that all the joints are made out of brass or plastic and that they’re watertight; and
- make sure that the pump meets relevant British Standards.
Successful applicants will need to keep:
- dated photographs of the site during the different stages of the work (submit these with any claim and show them on inspection); and
- copies of all receipted invoices and bank statements relating to this work.
How to carry out this item
The following section gives advice on carrying out this item successfully.
How many cattle the pump can serve
Pasture pumps can lift water up to around 5m and pump to a distance of up to 50m. 10 to 15 cattle can be served with 1 pump.
How to get best results from the pump
Livestock should be trained to use the pump.
What to do with the pump in the winter
Remove the pump and store it during winter to guard against frost damage. Make sure the pump is available for inspection after it’s been removed.
This item can be used with item LV8 - Pipework associated with livestock troughs.