The S3 waste exemption lets you store sewage sludge at a site where it will be used in accordance with the Sludge (Use in Agriculture) Regulations 1989.
Types of activity you can carry out
- storing sewage sludge at a farm before it’s spread on land
- storing septic tank sludge before it’s spread on land
Types of activity you cannot carry out
- store waste within a zone defined by a 50 day travel time for groundwater to reach a groundwater abstraction that is used to supply water for homes or producing food (this is known as a Source Protection Zone 1)
- store waste under this exemption where it’s to be used at another place
- store waste where it’s not going to be used in accordance with the Sludge (Use in Agriculture) Regulations 1989
- store waste within 0.3 metres of the top of an open storage container or within 0.75 metres of the top of an earthbank tank or lagoon
Types of waste you can store
The waste codes are those listed in the List of Wastes (LoW) Regulations. You need to make sure your waste fits within the relevant waste code and description.
|Waste code||Type of waste|
|190805||residual sludge from sewage plants treating domestic or urban waste waters|
|200304||residual sludge from septic tanks and other similar installations for the treatment of sewage only|
Quantity of waste you can store
- store up to 1,250 tonnes of waste at any one time
- store waste for up to 12 months before using it
The waste must be stored at least:
- 10 metres from any watercourse
- 50 metres from any spring or well, or from any borehole not used to supply water for homes or producing food
- 250 metres from any borehole used to supply water for homes or producing food
The waste must be stored in a secure location at the place where it’s to be used.
What else you need to know
You must use the sludge in accordance with the Sludge (Use in Agriculture) Regulations 1989.
Please see the sewage sludge in agriculture code of practice.
Register a S3 exemption
You need to register this exemption with us if you will meet the requirements: