Refunds of VAT for UK businesses buying in EU countries

How to reclaim VAT you've paid in an EU country if you’re registered for VAT in the UK.

You may have to pay VAT on goods and services bought for your business in an EU country. You’ll still be able to claim refunds of this VAT if your business is registered in the UK or Isle of Man.

UK businesses may be required to provide a certificate of status in order to get a refund.

From 1 January 2021

Find out how to claim refunds on VAT paid to EU countries after 1 January 2021.

Published 1 July 2014
Last updated 31 December 2020 + show all updates
  1. This page has been updated because the Brexit transition period has ended.

  2. After Brexit, you’ll need to use the process for the EU country where you’re claiming a VAT refund.

  3. First published.