Get a certificate to verify the status of your overseas business

Verify the business status of overseas businesses established outside the UK using form VAT66A.


Certificate of status of business person (VAT66A)

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


You can use form VAT66A to verify the status of your overseas business when making Part 21 of the VAT Regulations 1995 claims for VAT incurred in the UK. 

When you claim for the first time, and every 12 months after that, you must give HMRC an official certificate proving that you’re registered as business in your own country. The certificate must be an original and show:

  • the name, address and official stamp of the authorising body
  • your own name and address and any trading name you use
  • what your business does
  • your business registration number

The certificate is valid for 12 months and will be accepted for all claims you make during that period. At the end of the 12 months you must send a new certificate with your next claim.

Email HMRC to ask for this form in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Help and guidance relating to this form

Non-UK businesses - visiting the UK - getting VAT refunds

If you’re registered as a business outside of the EU you may be able to get back some of the VAT you pay during business trips to the UK. This guidance provides a general overview.

Further guidance on VAT refunds for non-UK businesses can be found in Notice 723A - refunds of VAT for non-UK businesses or EU VAT for UK businesses

Published 4 April 2014
Last updated 31 December 2020 + show all updates
  1. This page has been updated because the Brexit transition period has ended.

  2. First published.