We have a team of experts who specialise in technical aspects of maritime baselines, limits, zones and boundaries.
Law of the Sea
The Law of the Sea section within the UKHO specialises in technical aspects of law of the sea providing the following services:
- Research, advice and assistance on all aspects of maritime delimitation
- Advice on the interpretation and implementation of the provisions of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), including freedom of navigation issues
- Development, definition and illustration of maritime zones and boundaries using GIS solutions
- Analysis of maritime areas (hydrocarbon and natural resources) in the context of law of the sea zones, limits and boundaries
- Training, workshops or seminars on technical aspects of law of the sea.
The limits and boundaries of the UK, UK Overseas Territories and UK Crown Dependencies are available to view and download via the ADMIRALTY Marine Data Portal in accordance with Articles 16, 74 and 84 of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.
Limits are calculated from the normal baseline (the low water line on the largest UKHO charts) or declared straight baselines and limits are maintained by UKHO. Please note that these shape files will only be updated annually and that all limits and diagrams are released under the Open Government Licence.
To find out more or to discuss your specific requirements contact:
Law of the Sea