Spain: providing services and travelling for business

Guidance for UK businesses on rules for selling services to Spain.

The authoritative source for Spanish market regulations is the Spanish government. This guidance links to official Spanish sources wherever possible.

Movement of goods and living in Spain

The Spanish government has legislation that applies to:

  • the movement of people and goods between the 2 countries
  • British people living in Spain
  • Spanish people living in the UK who return to Spain

Find out how these Spanish rules may affect your business on the Spanish government’s Brexit site for business.

Spanish trade and services regulations

If you’re a UK business providing services in Spain, you will need to follow Spanish regulations about:

  • getting authorisations or licences to provide a service
  • complying with specific local business regulations
  • EEA nationality requirements which could prevent you from providing services in some sectors

The Spanish e-government portal for service providers (site in Spanish) can help you to:

  • find out what you need to know about providing services in Spain
  • understand local regulations
  • complete the relevant administrative procedures online

Consider appointing an English-speaking lawyer in Spain to help you comply with specific regulations.

To find out if EEA nationality requirements apply to you, contact the appropriate competent authority.

If you have complaints or queries about anti-competitive practices contact the Comisión Nacional de los Mercados y la Competencia (site in Spanish).

There are also non-governmental organisations that provide advice to UK businesses operating in Spain, for example the British Chamber of Commerce in Spain.

These organisations and their views are not associated with the UK government.

VAT on sales of digital services

To use the UK’s VAT Mini One Stop Shop (MOSS) to declare sales of digital services to EU consumers, businesses need to register for MOSS in an EU member state.

Find out more about paying VAT on sales of digital services.

Ownership of companies registered in Spain

If you have a UK business, you might face restrictions on your ability to own, manage or direct a registered company in Spain or any other EEA country.

Read more about this in our guidance relating to the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

Setting up a business

You can find out how to set up a business in Spain on these websites:

UK legal professionals who have investments in law firms in Spain should contact the General Council of the Spanish Bar (site in Spanish) for information on the implications for your investment.

Travel and entry requirements

See the latest information on all travel to Europe.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperation and Spanish Ministry of Work, Migration and Social Security (site in Spanish) websites have more information about:

  • visas including intra-corporate transfers
  • work and residence permits
  • supporting documentation
  • other conditions

Social security payments for employees

Find out if you need to pay National Insurance in the UK or social security contributions in Spain.

Recognition of professional qualifications

To check what you need to do in Spain, read our guidance on professional qualifications in the EEA and Switzerland.

If you need to take action to secure the recognition of your professional qualification in Spain, these sources can help you:

UK statutory auditors working in Spain

For UK statutory auditors, the Instituto de Contabilidad y Auditoría de Cuentas Spain (site in Spanish) should be able to provide further information.

UK lawyers working in Spain

If you’re a UK-qualified lawyer working in Spain, using either a Spanish or UK professional title, you should contact the local Bar association in the region in which you are working or the General Council of the Spanish Bar (site in Spanish) for advice.

Data transfer and GDPR

As part of the wider UK-EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement, the free flow of personal data from the EEA to the UK will continue after 1 January 2021 for no longer than 6 months, until adequacy decisions come into effect.

As a sensible precaution before and during this 6 month period, it is recommended that you work with EEA organisations who transfer personal data to you to put in place alternative transfer mechanisms to safeguard against any interruption to the free flow of EU to UK personal data.

Read guidance on using data in your personal business or other organisation.

Published 14 March 2019
Last updated 28 December 2020 + show all updates
  1. Updated the following sections to reflect the changes created by the UK and EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement: overview, trade regulations, VAT on sales of digital services, business travel and entry requirements, social security payments for employees, recognition of professional qualifications, and data transfer and GDPR.

  2. Guidance for ‘Recognition of professional qualifications’ and ‘Social security payments for employees’ updated.

  3. Change to title to include travelling for business

  4. Update to 'Business travel and entry requirements' section

  5. First published.