6. Legal context
Children's homes inspections and the law.
Under the Education and Inspections Act 2006, Ofsted carries out its work in ways that encourage the services it inspects and regulates to:
- be user-focused
- be efficient and effective in the use of resources
Section 5(1A) of the Care Standards Act 2000 provides that HMCI is the registration authority for children’s homes and other establishments and agencies to which Part 2 of that act applies.
The Care Standards Act 2000 sets out Ofsted’s powers to regulate, inspect and enforce compliance with the Act and relevant regulations. The Act also defines a children’s home (section 1).
When inspecting children’s homes, Ofsted considers the knowledge and understanding gained from previous inspections, and:
- the Care Standards Act 2000
- the Children’s homes (England) regulations 2015
- the Guide to the children’s homes regulations, including the quality standards
- other statutory guidance issued by the DfE