6. Legal context
Adoption support agencies inspections and the law.
Under the Education and Inspections Act 2006, Ofsted carries out its work in ways that encourage the services it inspects and regulates to:
- be user-focused
- be efficient and effective in the use of resources
Section 5(1A) of the Care Standards Act 2000 provides that HMCI is the registration authority for adoption support agencies and other establishments and agencies to which Part 2 of that Act applies.
The Care Standards Act sets out Ofsted’s powers to regulate, inspect and enforce compliance with the statutory requirements and relevant regulations. The Adoption and Children Act 2002 defines an adoption support agency (section 8).
When inspecting adoption support agencies, Ofsted takes into account the knowledge and understanding gained from previous inspections, and to relevant legislation including:
- the Care Standards Act 2000
- the Adoption and Children Act 2002
- the relevant Regulations and Adoption national minimum standards
- Adoption and Children Act 2002 Second revision July 2013 (referred to as statutory guidance)