Running a motorcycle training school

2. Employing motorcycle instructors

The different types of instructor authorisation, instructor certificates and monitoring your instructors.


You can authorise people to conduct compulsory basic training (CBT) courses on your behalf. They must:

  • be aged 21 or over
  • hold a current full Great Britain or Northern Ireland driving licence (A2 or A)
  • have held full motorcycle entitlement for at least 3 years - this doesn’t include automatic or category A1 licences but can include an aggregate of A2 and A
  • be a ‘fit and proper’ person

You must send the application on behalf of the instructor.

Instructors can only provide instruction in the category for which they hold a full licence.

All instructors must tell Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA), in writing or by email, of any offences (both motoring and non-motoring) within 7 days of the date of conviction.


CBT Team
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency
The Axis Building
112 Upper Parliament Street

The CBT Register Manager will then consider whether or not they are suitable to remain as certified instructors.

Levels of certified instructors

There are 3 levels of certified instructors:

  • down-trained instructor
  • DVSA assessed instructor
  • direct access scheme (DAS) instructor

Down-trained instructor

Down-trained instructors must be trained by a DVSA assessed instructor within the ATB.

Apply to be a certified motorcycle instructor

If successful, DVSA will issue a CBT1 certificate of authority which lets them provide CBT courses for your ATB.

DVSA assessed instructor

Your ATB must have at least one DVSA assessed instructor who can be responsible for up to 10 down trained instructors.

Your ATB’s authority can be withdrawn if you don’t meet this requirement.

DVSA assessed instructors will have completed a 2-day assessment. If their application is successful, they’ll get a certificate of authority (CBT1C) which lets them:

  • provide CBT courses
  • down-train other potential instructors

Find out how the DVSA CBT assessment works

Direct access instructor

You must be a DVSA assessed instructor to become a DAS instructor.

DAS instructors have to successfully complete DVSA’s half-day DAS instructor assessment.

If their application is successful, they’ll get a certificate of authority (CBT1D) which lets them:

  • provide CBT courses
  • down-train other potential CBT instructors
  • provide DAS courses

Find out how the DAS instructor assessment works

Certificates of authority to provide CBT courses

You can authorise instructors to provide CBT courses on your behalf. However, instructors can’t conduct CBT courses on behalf of your ATB until they’ve got a certificate of authority.

You must send the application on behalf of your instructor. They must meet the relevant eligibility criteria.

DVSA aims to process applications within 10 working days. Make sure that you fill in the application forms correctly to avoid delays.

All instructor certificates of authority:

  • are specific to, and the responsibility of, the ATB who sent the application
  • only valid for use by the named instructor when providing CBT and/or DAS courses for the ATB named on the certificate

Instructors must carry their certificate of authority with them at all times when they’re providing CBT or DAS courses. They can be asked to show it to an authorised body, like DVSA staff or police officers.

Instructors who stop providing training

You must send an instructor’s certificate to DVSA to be cancelled if they stop providing CBT or DAS courses on behalf of your ATB.

You should send an instructor’s last known address to DVSA in writing or by email if they leave your ATB without handing in their certificate.

How long certificates last

Motorcycle instructor certificates are valid for 4 years from the date they’re issued. The date they run out on is shown on the front of the certificate.

DVSA aims to send a renewal reminder letter to you before a certificate is going to run out. However, it’s your responsibility to make sure an instructor has a valid certificate.

Please apply in good time before the certificate expiry date, it can take up to 10 working days to process an application.

Renewing certificates

DVSA assessed and DAS instructors have 12 months from the date their certificate runs out or is removed to renew them. You must send a new application and the instructors must take the assessments again if they don’t renew them in time.

Withdrawal of certificates of authority

DVSA can withdraw an instructor’s certificate of authority if:

  • they are in breach of the regulations
  • the quality of their instruction is unsatisfactory
  • they no longer meet the ‘fit and proper’ criteria

Certificates held by the instructor for other ATBs can also be withdrawn, depending on the reason why the first has been withdrawn. DVSA will tell you if they withdraw an instructor’s authority.

Monitor your instructors

You should make sure that each instructor (both DVSA assessed and down-trained) is monitored by a DVSA assessed instructor at least 4 times a year.

You should keep records of:

  • when the monitoring took place
  • what aspects of training were observed

Both the assessor and the instructor being supervised should:

  • be given the opportunity to make written comments
  • sign the record sheet

Keeping records

The record should then be kept for 12 months for inspection.

The records of at least 4 assessments for instructors with 12 months or more experience should always be made available for inspection when required by DVSA.

If you only have one DVSA-assessed instructor

If you only have one DVSA assessed instructor, you can provide reciprocal assessments when needed with other smaller ATBs.