Request your personal information from the Department for Work and Pensions

You have the right to get a copy of the information that is held about you. This is called the 'right of access'.

If you need proof of a benefit claim

If you need proof that you’re getting a benefit – such as a printed record – contact the benefit office that pays you. This can be used to show your work history, prove that you live in the UK or that you’re entitled to things like:

  • free school meals
  • funding for eye tests, training and travel
  • other benefits

It can also help with any TV license enquiries.

You can also contact the office that pays your benefit to get a copy of:

  • the amounts (rates) of benefit you get and the dates you’re paid
  • your last fit note
  • your letter of entitlement to benefit (if within the last 5 years)
  • evidence used in a dispute or investigation
  • your pension forecast
  • your Child Maintenance Service account information

You can find their contact details on a letter they’ve sent you, or through guidance about the benefit.

If you’re claiming Universal Credit and have an online account, you can request proof of your claim through your journal.

If you want access to CCTV footage

The company that is responsible for the security of a DWP office normally controls access to CCTV footage. If you want to access CCTV footage containing images of you in a DWP office, you should request it directly from the security company. Signs in the area covered by the cameras will display the name of the company and how to contact them. As CCTV footage is often only stored for a short time, you should make your request as soon as you can.

If you need a copy of any other information that DWP holds about you

You can request your personal information online.

You can also write to DWP. Include a description of the information you want (for example Jobseeker’s Allowance records), the time period you need the information to cover and your:

  • full name
  • full address
  • date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • telephone number if you’re requesting call recordings

Post your written request to:

Right of Access Requests
Mail Handling Site A
WV98 2EF

Solicitors or other third parties: request information on behalf of someone else

Write to DWP using the request form for third parties (ODT, 25.8KB).

We’ll need to get the consent of the other person (the ‘subject’) before we can begin your request. The guidance in the form explains how we do this.

When you should get a reply to your personal information request

We’ll send you the personal information you have asked for as soon as possible. This will be within 1 month from when we get your request, as long as your request gives enough information to identify you and the information you ask for. If it doesn’t, we’ll contact you.

How we collect and use information

The DWP personal information charter contains the standards you can expect when we ask for, or hold, your personal information. It also explains the other rights you have under data protection law.

Published 25 May 2018
Last updated 13 June 2019 + show all updates
  1. Added information about how to request footage from CCTV cameras at DWP offices.

  2. Added note advising people to resend any requests made between 18 October 2018 and 1 November 2018.

  3. Updated the personal information request form for third parties (ODT file).

  4. Updated the section about how to get proof of a benefit claim, including examples of what this information can be used for and that this can be requested from a benefit office.

  5. Added simplified third party request form.

  6. Updated the third party request form to reflect the new legal terms under GDPR.

  7. First published.