Repay Eat Out to Help Out Scheme payments
Find out how to pay back all or some of the payments your business claimed when taking part in the Eat Out to Help Out Scheme.
If you’ve claimed money through the Eat Out to Help Out scheme, you can make a repayment if either:
- you’ve realised that you have been overpaid or were not eligible
- you do not need the money and want to voluntarily pay it back
When you need to make a repayment
If you have overclaimed and have not repaid the money yet, you need to tell us within the notification period to avoid a penalty.
The notification period is within 90 days of you receiving the payment you are not entitled to.
You must make the repayment yourself, your agent is unable to do this on your behalf.
What you will need
You can do this using our online service. To do this you will need:
- the amount you want to repay
- the claim periods you are repaying
- your contact details
- the name of the business
- the claim reference number you got when you claimed the money
- the payment reference number starting with EOC
- your Government Gateway ID and password
You also need your National Insurance number or your:
- individual or partnership Self Assessment Unique Taxpayer Reference
- Corporation Tax Unique Taxpayer Reference
How to pay
You can make your repayment by:
- Faster Payments
If you do not tell HMRC you have been overpaid
You may be charged a penalty if you do not tell us you were overpaid or tell us after the notification period has ended.
Get more information
Read the factsheet to find out more about:
- assessing the Income Tax charge
- if your company becomes insolvent