Record F gas in equipment you own or service

Records you must keep about fluorinated gas (F gas) in your own equipment.

You must keep records about the following equipment you operate or service if it contains F gas equivalent to 5 tonnes or more of carbon dioxide:

  • stationary refrigeration equipment
  • stationary air-conditioning equipment
  • stationary heat pumps
  • stationary fire protection equipment
  • refrigeration units of refrigerated trucks and trailers
  • electrical switchgear
  • organic Rankine cycle

Find out how to calculate the weight of an F gas in carbon dioxide equivalent

You must keep records for 5 years on the:

  • quantity and type of gas in the equipment when it’s installed
  • quantity and type of gas added during maintenance (for example in leak repairs)
  • dates and results of all mandatory leak checks
  • what you’ve done to recover and dispose of gas – for example, record the registered waste carrier you use to dispose of it

If the gas used in the equipment has been recycled or reclaimed, record the:

  • quantity of gases recovered
  • name, address and certificate number of the recycling or reclamation facility

If you’re a user or operator of the equipment, keep records of the name, address and certificate number of any companies used to install, service or decommission your equipment.

The Environment Agency may ask to see your records during an inspection.

Published 21 August 2019