The laboratory provides diagnostic microbiological testing services for the examination of food, water and environmental samples.
The Preston food, water and environmental laboratory provides public health focused testing in line with regulation and guidance for a range of stakeholders including: local authorities, Port health authorities, the NHS and commercial companies.
The laboratory serves the north-west, including Cheshire, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cumbria and the Manchester conurbation.
The laboratory provides a range of services which include:
- general hygiene screens for food samples and surface swabs
- presence of pathogens such as salmonella, listeria, campylobacter, vibrio and Escherichia coli O157
- spoilage organisms such as yeasts and moulds
- swimming and spa pool water quality
- dairy product testing including determination of phosphatase
- legionella and pseudomonas in water supplies
- endoscopy rinse water and renal dialysis water
- molecular detection of foodborne pathogens by real-time PCR
- support for investigation of outbreaks
- UKAS no. 1496
- ISO 17025
Food, water and environmental microbiology laboratory Preston