Get advice from Natural England on planning proposals that will require a protected species mitigation licence and what charges apply.
Applies to England
Natural England offers a pre-submission screening service so you can get advice on planning and development proposals which might affect European or nationally protected species before planning permission is secured.
The service offers you the chance to get advice on:
- whether the proposals are likely to meet licensing requirements
- what changes could be made to the proposals to meet licensing requirements
The service should help you better understand the risks and costs associated with your planning proposals by:
- not having to wait until the formal submission stage to understand licensing requirements (once planning permission is secured)
- having an opportunity to gain further information following an initial formal licence application
About the service
The pre-submission screening service offers:
- a review of draft application documents by Natural England licensing advisers
- a written advice note highlighting issues which need to be addressed giving views on the relevant licensing tests
- the opportunity for a site visit with a written report of the advice given
- a follow up telephone support to clarify highlighted issues prior to formal submission
The service is available for new licence applications, resubmissions or modifications.
How to use the service
Complete theto provide details of your proposal, explain why you think a licence is required and what advice you need.
Submit the form or send any questions you have about the service to: PSSEnquiries@naturalengland.org.uk
Natural England will assess your request and confirm whether the pre-submission screening service is appropriate for you. You may be contacted by a Natural England adviser if more information is needed.
If your case is accepted, you will be asked to provide a draft licence application with as much information as you have at the time. This should include a draft:
- application form
- method statement
- reasoned statement
Where possible, a master plan (if appropriate), survey information, maps, figures and photographs should be made available.
Natural England aims to respond with advice to accepted cases within 30 working days.
If you decide to use this service, you agree to these.
Cost of the service
Natural England charges £110 per hour for its service.
Costs depend on the complexity of the case and are based on the estimated or actual time taken to complete the work, depending on which contract option you’ve chosen.
Natural England will provide you with a quotation to include:
- fixed minimum prices - for meetings and site visits
- estimated prices - based upon number of hours to complete the work
- hourly charge (to include work and travel) - for more complex requests and undefined scope contracts
Meeting and travel costs
- £500 per adviser for a 90 minute meeting at:
- a Natural England office or via conference call
- your office or development site
- £110 per hour per adviser for each additional hour
Meeting costs include:
- 1 hour preparation time
- consultation with colleagues
- written summary of advice
If an adviser needs to travel to your office or development site you’ll pay:
- adviser’s travel costs at 45p per mile
- public transport, tolls and expenses over and above the mileage at cost
- adviser’s travel time as part of the hourly rate
Wildlife licence charges
Natural England may charge for processing a wildlife licensing application, depending on the purpose of your project. Find out when you may need to pay.