This guidance was withdrawn on
The move to the MOT testing service has finished, so this guidance is no longer relevant.
You can record MOT test results and buy slots at www.gov.uk/mot-testing-service.
An overview of what the MOT modernisation project means for the MOT trade, and how the new MOT testing service will be introduced.
About MOT modernisation
MOT modernisation is a project being run by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).
It’s being done to update and simplify MOT processes and policies to help improve road safety and test quality.
The project is building a new web-based MOT testing service to replace both:
- MOT Comp
- your vehicle testing station (VTS) device
The new MOT testing service will give you more flexibility and choice in how you decide to carry out MOT tests.
You’ll move to the new service between April and August 2015. You’ll be told your exact switchover date nearer the time.
IT equipment and internet access
Responsibility for IT equipment, internet connections and printers will move from DVSA and Atos to authorised examiners (AEs).
Most VTSs won’t need any new equipment as they’ll already have the right kind of IT equipment, internet connection and printer.
Find out more about getting the right IT and internet access.
Check you’re ready for the new MOT testing service
You need to do 4 things to make sure you’re ready to move to the new MOT testing service.
- Update your MOT vehicle testing station (VTS) device details.
- Get MOT modernisation email alerts.
- Make sure you have IT equipment and internet access that meets the rules.
- Fill in the ‘readiness survey’ from the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).
Find out more about how to check your MOT station is ready.
Move to the new MOT testing service
The move to the new MOT testing service will be carried out AE-by-AE in phases between April and August 2015.
Every VTS will be using the new service by the end of September 2015.
You can read guidance about:
- how you’ll be contacted by DVSA
- your switchover date
- your user ID and role
- how to claim your new account
- what will happen to old equipment
Find out more about the move to the new service.
Testing rules, roles and quality control changes
From April 2015, VTSs will no longer be required to display their list of NTs on their public notice board.
The current MOT Comp testing rules will apply under the new service.
MOT roles are being simplified, and some won’t exist in the new service.
DVSA is also using the move to the new service as an opportunity to change how evidence of quality control and management is recorded.
Find out more about the testing rules, roles and quality control changes
There will be some changes to specific processes when the new service is introduced.
You can read more about changes to:
- entering vehicle specific information (VSI)
- slot payments
- recording retests
- emergency testing (which is being renamed ‘contingency testing’)
Testing the new service
DVSA wants to do lots of user testing ahead of the new service going live. It will be asking for volunteers to do this.
Questions and feedback
Your feedback will help us provide you with the information you need about the new MOT testing service.
MOT testing service
Questions, comments and suggestions about the new MOT testing service being introduced by the MOT modernisation project.
Published: 2 May 2014
Updated: 15 March 2015
- Added information about contingency testing, slot payments and changes to the MOT testing guide.
- Added a link to the new new 'MOT Modernisation: the switchover process' guidance under the 'Switching to the new system' section.
- Added new details asking AEs and NTs to udpate contact and other details under the 'Switching to the new system' section.
- Updated information in the 'Testing the new system' section.
- Added information to 'Switching to the new system' section.
- Added information to the 'Switching to the new system' section and added link to the 'MOT Modernisation: IT specification' guide from the 'IT equipment and printer' section.
- Added the 'Volunteers wanted for new MOT system testing' video to the 'Testing the new system' section.
- Updated with information about printers under the renamed VTS devices, printers and smart cards section.
- Updated with latest advice and guidance including updated IT equipment and IT security content and new internet connection and slot payment sections.
- First published.