List of goods imported into Great Britain from the EU that are controlled from January 2021

You'll need to follow normal import declarations rules for controlled goods imported into Great Britain from the EU from 1 January to 30 June 2021.

New rules for January 2021

The UK has left the EU, and the transition period after Brexit comes to an end this year.

This page tells you what you'll need to do from 1 January 2021. It will be updated if anything changes.

You can also read about the transition period.

From 1 January to 30 June 2021, if you import goods which are not controlled into Great Britain from the EU, you can record the goods in your own records without getting authorisation in advance.

But if the goods are on the below list, you must follow normal rules for making import declarations.

Type of good Notes
Excise goods Including alcohol, hydrocarbon oils, tobacco, climate change levy and biofuels.
Controlled drugs and drug precursor chemicals Specific drugs under licence only.
Endangered species (CITES-listed endangered animals and plants or their products) The UK will continue to comply with the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).

From 1 January 2021, checks of CITES permits will be required at the border to import or export CITES-listed specimens of endangered animal or plant species.

CITES specimens will only be able to enter and exit the UK via specific designated points of entry or exit.
Fishery products Check what documents you need to submit in advance of importing fishery products into the UK from the EU.
Marketing standards - fertilisers Ammonium nitrate.

For critical safety checks, a detonation resistance certificate must be sent not later than 5 days before the anticipated date of arrival of the material into Great Britain as required by 2003 Ammonium Nitrate Materials (High Nitrogen Content) Regulations GB.
Plants and plant products entering through border control posts The highest risk plants for planting, where the biosecurity risk necessitates checks at the border, at existing border control posts.
Anti-personnel mines Under licence issued for the exclusive purpose of mine detection, clearance and destruction training only.
Explosives Only those included in the list of classified and authorised explosives and under licence.
Firearms Under licence only, unless being exported as personal effects for hunting or sports shooting by a person authorised to possess the firearm.
Fireworks Storage of fireworks is controlled.
Military goods Under licence only.
Nuclear materials Under licence only, includes medical radioisotopes.
Offensive weapons Specific items under licence only.
Realistic imitation firearms Under licence issued for the exclusive purpose of historic events or as film props only.
Torture equipment Under licence issued for the exclusive purpose of public display in a museum in view of its historic interest only.
Ozone depleting substances and hydrofluorocarbons Imports and exports of ozone depleting substances (ODS) and hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) are controlled under the Montreal Protocol (MP).
Rough diamonds Only when accompanied by Kimberley Process certificate (additional United Nations requirement).
Anti-dumping duty and countervailing duties Products subject to anti-dumping duty and countervailing duty measures. This covers a range of goods, including some products from the following sectors:

• fertilisers
• biodiesel
• ceramics
• steel
Sanction goods Find a list of UK sanctions currently in place.
Steel safeguards Tariff safeguards relating to the importation of steel and steel products.
Weapons of mass destruction related goods Goods subject to UK sanctions or specific goods subject to import licencing controls under UK sanctions (for example Iran and North Korea).
Published 27 July 2020