Key stage 1 assessments data collection: guide to submitting data
- Department for Education
- Part of:
- National curriculum assessments: guidance for local authorities and Data collection and statistical returns
- First published:
- 25 March 2014
- Last updated:
- 13 June 2016, see all updates
- Applies to:
How local authorities should collect key stage 1 (KS1) assessments data from all state-funded schools, including academies and free schools.
The key stage 1 (KS1) assessments data collection is a statutory data collection that takes place each June. You must complete statutory data collections by law unless there’s a good reason not to.
Local authorities must submit KS1 assessments for all state-funded schools, including academies and free schools.
You should submit teacher assessment information for all pupils at the end of KS1 for:
You can find guidance on how to collect this information in section 8 of the KS1 assessment and reporting arrangements (ARA).
KS1 covers years 1 and 2.
Dates for the 2016 data collection:
- collection opens: Monday 13 June 2016
- deadline for submitting data: Friday 29 July 2016
Please note that you need to submit your return by the deadline (29 July 2016) for us to include your data in the ‘Phonics screening check and key stage 1 assessment’ statistical first release and on the RAISEonline website.
Submit your data
You should submit your data using COLLECT, our centralised data collection and management system.
Note that we’ll only be able to change the status of your data submission to ‘authorised’ once you’ve cleared all errors in the data in COLLECT.
The following document will help you prepare for the 2016 return:
If you are looking for guides from past KS1 assessments data collections, visit the ‘KS1 assessments data collection: closed collections’ page.
Do you need help?
Please use the service request form if you have any questions about your data. We aim to answer your question within 5 working days.
Reset your Secure Access login details using the forgotten password or username form.
Please contact your school or local authority approver, if:
- you want to request a Secure Access username or password so you can access COLLECT
- ‘key stage 1 assessments data collection’ isn’t on the list of collections you can see in COLLECT
If you don’t know who your approver is, please use the Secure Access service request form.
Please use the feedback form if you have any comments about our data collection service, including COLLECT and the helpdesk service.
Published: 25 March 2014
Updated: 13 June 2016
- Added link to 'Key stage 1 data return 2016: COLLECT guide'.
- Updated to include a link to the KS1 assessments collection 2016 guide for local authorities.
- Updated to explain what data we include in the ‘Phonics screening check and key stage 1 assessment’ statistical first release and on the RAISEonline website.
- Updated details of what information local authorities need to submit for the KS1 assessments data collection.
- Added link to 'KS1 assessments data collection 2016: technical specification'.
- Added 'KS1 return 2015: COLLECT guide'.
- Added 'Key stage 1 assessments collection 2015: guide'.
- Corrected 'deadline for returns' date.
- Updated deadlines for 2015 and added a technical specification for 2015 data collection.
- Added links to the guide to the collection, COLLECT guide and input sheet.
- First published.