How to comply with REACH chemical regulations

How to comply with the EU's REACH chemical regulations when you're using, making, selling or importing chemicals in the EU, and how to prepare for 1 January 2021.

If you’re using, making, selling or importing chemicals in the EU, you need to follow REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and restriction of Chemicals) regulations.

Find out what you must do to meet REACH requirements.

Register your chemical substance

You must register your chemical substance with the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) - this body enforces REACH regulations in the EU.

Find out how to register your substance with ECHA.

Get more information about REACH

Read ECHA advice to find out:

  • the chemicals that are covered by REACH regulations
  • whether authorisation or restriction should take place

You can also get information about REACH from the HSE website - HSE and the Environment Agency (EA) work together to enforce REACH regulations in the UK.

Prepare for 1 January 2021

Find out how to continue to make, sell or import chemicals from 1 January 2021.

If you want to place new chemicals on both the EU/EEA (including Switzerland) and UK markets from 1 January 2021, you must follow both EU REACH and UK REACH rules. Register for new chemicals on the UK market from 1 January 2021 on the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

If you’re importing or exporting chemicals to the EU, you can view journey maps with the steps you need to take.

Published 23 September 2015
Last updated 18 September 2019 + show all updates
  1. Added link to the process maps collection

  2. Added information on how to make, sell or import chemicals if the UK leaves the EU with no deal, and how to register on REACH after no deal.

  3. Added link to Health and Safety Executive (HSE) guidance on chemical regulations and preparing for Brexit. See 'Prepare for Brexit'.

  4. Amended link to registration support page.

  5. First published.