Register for a Common Platform account for viewing and managing cases in criminal courts.
Applies to England and Wales
About Common Platform
Common Platform is a case management system for HMCTS, the judiciary, and professional court users, including defence solicitors and barristers.
Defence solicitors and barristers will need to register for an account before any hearings they attend where Common Platform is used.
With an account you can:
- link yourself to a case or defendant so the Legal Aid Agency is informed for payment purposes
- self-serve case materials, including the initial details of the prosecution case (IDPC) and the pre-trial readiness form (PET form) in the magistrates’ court
- serve documents on the court for magistrates’ Common Platform cases
Access a case
Once your organisation has registered and you have activated your account, you can start accessing cases in Common Platform.
How to register
To register for an account, your organisation must complete the registration form with the details of anyone who needs access.
The form should be completed by an account administrator. If you are the account administrator, you will be named as accountable for the platform in your organisation.
Only complete the 2 input tabs:
- Organisation details – input
- User details – input
Once complete, email the form to CPOnboarding@justice.gov.uk for validation.
If Common Platform is already being used in your area, we will then add your organisation and users to the system.
If you work in a court due to go live with the platform soon, your account set up will be prioritised. If otherwise, it may take longer.
What happens next
Once in the system, each user will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with further details. Please check junk and spam filters for this notification.
As an individual user, you must then activate your account and complete the security set-up process.
Get help and guidance
If you need help with registering, email CPonboarding@justice.gov.uk.
If you need help getting a unique reference number for a case, email ProfessionalContactCrime@justice.gov.uk or call 0330 808 4407.
See our guides on using Common Platform:
- How to use Common Platform: for defence professionals on activating an account and using Common Platform to manage cases
- Common Platform for defence administrators: creating user accounts, assigning roles and other admin functionality
If you need further help or have questions that are not addressed in the guidance, you can contact us on our helpdesk or by email.
Telephone – 0300 303 0688
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (excluding public holidays)
We aim to respond within 5 working days.