Highways England: Your property and blight

What to do if the value of your property is reduced because of major trunk road proposals or improvements.

Large scale or major public works near a property can reduce its value, making it hard to sell at market rate - this is referred to as blight.

This booklet is designed to help you understand what you can do if you believe your house is blighted by major new trunk road proposals or improvements, including how:

  • to serve a blight notice on the Secretary of State for Transport, asking for the purchase of your property in advance of it being required for a road scheme
  • Highways England deals with blight notices
  • to complain or appeal
Published 14 September 2017