Highways England land and property ownership enquiries

Enquiries about land and property owned by Highways England Company Limited.

Use this guide for enquiries relating to the Highways England network of major roads or property registered to:

  • Highways England Company Limited
  • the Sec­re­tary of State for Trans­port
  • predecessors of this role for example the Secretary of State for the Environment or the Minister for Buildings and Public Works

Highways England does not charge for its land enquiry service but it can take time to give you a full answer if your enquiry requires research into archived records.

Highways England can only help with enquiries that relate to the land and property they own. You can check HM Land Reg­istry for details of prop­erty own­er­ship through­out the UK. There is a small charge to do so.

Prepare your enquiry

You will need to supply a location map/plan with the relevant land/property highlighted and shaded. The plan(s) must:

  • indicate north with an arrow
  • be no more than 1:5000 scale
  • identify and label the location eg nearby towns, villages and/or major roads

You must also provide:

  • your name and full contact details, including email address and phone number
  • as many details as you can about the land or property such as address, description, grid reference, post code
  • details of how you would like Highways England to contact you eg by post, by email etc

It would be helpful if you could also attach a copy of the HM Land Registry title register, where available.

Highways England may not be able to answer your question if you do not provide all of the infor­ma­tion required.

Submit your enquiry

If you have an electronic copy of the plan you can submit your enquiry via email to:

Alternatively you can enquire by post.

Property Enquiries Team
Ash House Falcon Road

Highways England will acknowledge your enquiry on receipt and aims to respond to straightforward requests within 15 working days. Where extensive research is required this may not be possible. In this case Highways England will keep you informed of progress.

Published 1 January 2010