Get help if you’re running your own business by using videos, webinars and online courses from HMRC.
Available webinars are listed by subject and can last up to an hour.
To attend a live webinar, register and sign in at least 5 minutes before it starts.
You can ask your host questions using the on-screen text box.
Self-employment and HMRC – let’s get started
Watch YouTube videos about Self Assessment help and deadlines to find out about:
- registering for Self Assessment
- your self-employed tax return
- expenses if you’re self-employed
Watch a catch up webinar about an overview of self-employment and HMRC which looks at records, business expenses and more. We will also show you the help available from HMRC.
Setting up your business
Use the online guide about setting up and running your own business to find out about:
- choosing a structure for your business
- telling HMRC about your self-employment
- keeping business records
- claiming expenses
Register for the next live webinar about recording keeping.
Watch the catch up webinar about record keeping.
This webinar will help you learn about:
- the principles of keeping good business records
- what HMRC expects from you
- how to start with good habits
- record keeping apps for mobile devices
How to complete your online tax return
This webinar covers:
- Self Assessment online
- tailoring your return
- filling in your return
- budgeting for your tax bill
Online tax return help for landlords
How to pay your Self Assessment tax bill
- Self Assessment
- paying HMRC
- what to do if you cannot pay
Watch our short series of YouTube videos about expenses:
Basic record keeping for the self-employed
Expenses to include in a Self Assessment tax return
Allowable business expenses
Common business expenses
Car expenses for the self-employed
Register for the next live webinar about Car expenses for the self-employed .
These webinars are for self-employed sole traders and self-employed partnerships. They are not suitable for limited companies or company directors.
The webinars cover:
- how to use the simplified expenses method
- how to calculate the actual costs method (including capital allowances)
- leasing a car and personal contract purchases
Individuals with income from UK residential property
Business expenses for the self-employed
Register for the next live webinar about business expenses for the self-employed.
These webinars will:
- show you what business expenses are
- cover the most common expenses, to show what is and is not allowable
- help you enter accurate figures on your tax return
Register for the next live webinar about capital allowances for the self-employed.
This webinar covers how to claim capital allowances for plant and machinery (equipment you use in your business). This applies to self-employed businesses who use the traditional method of accounting.
Watch this webinar to find out how to claim tax relief when buying or improving vehicles and equipment for your business.
Use the online course about tax advice for childminders to find out about:
- National Insurance
- record keeping
- what you can claim as an expense
Use the online course about tax for foster carers to find out about:
- registering as self-employed
- National Insurance and Income Tax
- qualifying care relief
If you’re a small or medium business buying or selling alcohol you can find out if you need to apply for approval to sell alcohol to another business.