Condition Improvement Fund
Information about the Condition Improvement Fund (CIF) for academies and sixth-form colleges.
CIF is an annual bidding round to which academies and sixth-form colleges can apply for capital funding.
The core priority for CIF is to address significant condition need, keeping academy and sixth-form college buildings safe and in good working order. This includes funding projects to address health and safety issues, building compliance and poor building condition.
CIF also supports a small proportion of expansion projects for Ofsted-rated good or outstanding academies and sixth-form colleges that need to expand their existing facilities and/or floor space.
CIF applications for 2017 to 2018
The 2017 to 2018 CIF round is now closed for applications.
The detailed guide below contains information for schools and sixth-form colleges about CIF and the 2017 to 2018 bidding round for capital funding.
PDF, 635KB, 41 pages
The department announced the outcome of the 2016 to 2017 CIF bidding round on 24 March 2016.
Who can apply to CIF
Single academy trusts, small multi-academy trusts (MATs) and sixth-form colleges can apply for CIF. To be eligible to apply, you must:
- be an open academy or sixth-form college as at 1 September 2016
- be a school with a signed academy order as at 1 September 2016 (if successful, you must have converted to academy status and have a funding agreement in place by 31 March 2017 to receive funding)
MATs with at least 5 academies and more than 3,000 pupils do not need to apply. They will receive a formulaic allocation to deploy across their estate for 2017 to 2018.
Deadline for applications
New applicants had until 5pm on 30 November 2016 to register. The deadline for submitting applications was 12 noon on 9 December 2016 for all applicants. No further applications will be accepted for this round.
Guidance for schools and sixth-form colleges on applying to CIF
The Condition Improvement Fund Information for Applicants guidance provides further detail of projects that are appropriate for CIF funding and the assessment criteria for the 2017 to 2018 round.
If you are a school or sixth –form college considering applying to CIF, you should refer to this guidance.
If you wish to apply for CIF funding, you must do so using the CIF portal which includes a detailed user guide to help you.
Academies and sixth-form colleges can take out a loan for all or part of the project costs in their CIF proposal to demonstrate their commitment to the scheme.
MS Excel Spreadsheet, 49.9KB
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (eg a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Loans are to be offered at Public Works Loan Board rates of interest, the same rate that local authorities can access to invest in their schools. Loans repayments are to be made through abatement of revenue funding paid to the academy or college and reinvested into future capital budgets.
If you need further advice after the publication of the full guidance, please contact us using:
Contact form https://form.education...
For all enquiries for the Education Funding Agency
Published: 16 October 2014
Updated: 13 December 2016
- Amended to show that the Condition Improvement Fund applications deadline has been reached and no further applications for the 2017 to 2018 round will be accepted.
- Updated to include information for applicants for the 2017 to 2018 Condition Improvement Fund bidding round.
- Minor changes to reflect that the outcomes for 2016 to 2017 have been announced
- Updated with information for applicants 2016 to 2017.
- Updated with information about applying for CIF for 2016 to 2017.
- Updated with information on appeal outcomes
- Updated with information about the outcome of CIF 2015 to 2016.
- Updated to confirm that the application system is closed.
- Updated to change the application deadline date to 13 January.
- Updated with advice about submitted online applications.
- Updated with a link to the CIF online application and the CIF 2015 to 2016 online application user guide
- Updated with online application document
- Loan calculator added
- Webinar details added.
- Updated with detailed information for applicants.
- First published.