Information for academies and sixth-form colleges about the Condition Improvement Fund (CIF)
CIF is an annual bidding round for academies and sixth-form colleges to apply for capital funding.
The core priority is to address significant condition need, keeping buildings safe and in good working order.
CIF also supports a small amount of expansion projects for those rated by Ofsted as good or outstanding. This includes expanding their existing facilities or floor space. This is to increase the number of admissions in the main year of entry or address overcrowding.
The information for applicants provides details for schools and sixth-form colleges about CIF. It also includes 2017 to 2018 bidding round arrangements. The round closed on 9 December 2016.
CIF applications for 2017 to 2018
We have announced the outcomes of the 2017 to 2018 CIF round.
The detailed guide below contains the information provided to schools and sixth-form colleges about CIF and the 2017 to 2018 bidding round arrangements. The round closed on 9 December 2016.
PDF, 635KB, 41 pages
We published the outcomes for the 2016 to 2017 CIF round on 24 March 2016.
Who could apply to CIF 2017 to 2018
Single academy trusts, small multi-academy trusts (MATs) and sixth-form colleges could apply for CIF. To be eligible to apply, you had to:
- be an open academy or sixth-form college as at 1 September 2016
- be a school with a signed academy order as at 1 September 2016 (if successful, you must have converted to academy status and had a funding agreement in place by 31 March 2017 to receive funding)
MATs with at least 5 academies and more than 3,000 pupils did not need to apply. They will receive a formulaic allocation to deploy across their estate.
Deadline for applications
New applicants had until 5pm on 30 November 2016 to register. The deadline for submitting applications was 12 noon on 9 December 2016 for all applicants.
We will announce the deadlines for the 2018 to 2019 CIF round in the autumn of 2017.
If you need further advice, please contact us using:
Contact form https://form.education...
For all enquiries for the Education and Skills Funding Agency
Published: 16 October 2014
Updated: 3 April 2017
- Page updated following the announcement of the CIF 2017 to 2018 outcomes
- Amended to show that the Condition Improvement Fund applications deadline has been reached and no further applications for the 2017 to 2018 round will be accepted.
- Updated to include information for applicants for the 2017 to 2018 Condition Improvement Fund bidding round.
- Minor changes to reflect that the outcomes for 2016 to 2017 have been announced
- Updated with information for applicants 2016 to 2017.
- Updated with information about applying for CIF for 2016 to 2017.
- Updated with information on appeal outcomes
- Updated with information about the outcome of CIF 2015 to 2016.
- Updated to confirm that the application system is closed.
- Updated to change the application deadline date to 13 January.
- Updated with advice about submitted online applications.
- Updated with a link to the CIF online application and the CIF 2015 to 2016 online application user guide
- Updated with online application document
- Loan calculator added
- Webinar details added.
- Updated with detailed information for applicants.
- First published.