Civil Service Fast Track Apprenticeship: Eligibility criteria
Find out if you’re eligible to apply for the Fast Track Apprenticeship.
Check the following statements are true:
- Age: I’ll be 16 or older by 31 August 2017
- Qualifications: I have at least 5 GCSEs at grade C and above, or the new grade 4 and above, including English Language and Maths, or equivalent (or I expect to have these by 31 August 2017)
- Nationality: I’m eligible according to the Civil Service nationality rules
- Where you’ve lived: I’ve been resident in the UK for at least 2 of the 10 years immediately before my application (and this includes at least 1 continuous 12-month period)
- I’m eligible to work in the UK
- Qualifications: I don’t have a degree
- I’m available to start work in September 2017
- Conditions for current civil servants: If I’m currently a civil servant, or have previously worked for the Civil Service, I’m aware of the conditions that apply
The programme is open to everyone aged 16 or older on 31 August 2017 who meets the general requirements.
There’s no upper age limit and it doesn’t matter when you gained your qualifications, although it’s expected you’ll work for several years before you retire. It’s your skills, attitude and outlook that matter in the selection process.
The Civil Service competency framework has more details about what is expected of civil servants.
To apply you must have at least 5 GCSEs at grade C and above, or the new grade 4 and above, including English Language and Maths, or equivalent. (Or you expect to have these qualifications by 31 August 2017.)
For some schemes you also need additional qualifications:
For the digital technology scheme you must have 2 A levels at grade C or above, preferably in a STEM subject, or equivalent, in addition to your GCSEs. (Or you expect to have these qualifications by 31 August 2017.) You can check which subjects qualify as STEM subjects.
You cannot apply for an apprenticeship if you have a degree. You may be eligible for the Fast Stream, the Civil Service’s flagship graduate development programme.
You can apply for the Fast Track Apprenticeship if you’re a:
- European Economic Area (EEA) national, including a British citizen
- Commonwealth citizen
- Swiss national
- Turkish national, in some circumstances
Eligibility requirements are explained in the Civil Service nationality rules.
Where you’ve lived
If your application is successful, all Fast Track applicants must pass security checks.
You must have been resident in the UK for at least 2 of the 10 years immediately before your application, including at least one continuous 12-month period.
The UK residency requirement for these posts doesn’t apply if you’ve:
- served overseas with HM Forces
- served as a representative of the UK government
- lived overseas as a result of your parents’ or partner’s government employment
Diversity and inclusion
Conditions for current civil servants
Current employees of the Civil Service who begin a Fast Track Apprenticeship will remain employed by their department or will transfer to a new department on a permanent basis. Their continuity of service will not be broken.
At the end of the apprenticeship, if a current employee does not satisfactorily complete their apprenticeship (after any period of agreed extension) they will be employed on the same terms and conditions as before the apprenticeship.