The Closed Businesses Lockdown Payment (CBLP) supports businesses that have been required to close due to the national lockdown that began 5 January 2021.
The Closed Businesses Lockdown Payment (CBLP) supports businesses that have been required to close due to the national lockdown that began on 5 January 2021.
Eligible businesses may be entitled to a one-off cash grant of up to £9,000 from their local council.
Local councils will pay the same businesses that are eligible to receive the Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) Addendum for the national lockdown period that began on 5 January.
The deadline to apply for the Closed Businesses Lockdown Payment is 31 March 2021.
Your business may be eligible if it:
- is based in England
- occupies property on which it pays business rates (and is the ratepayer)
- has been required to close because of the national lockdown from 5 January 2021 onwards
- has been unable to provide its usual in-person customer service from its premises
This could include non-essential retail, leisure, personal care, sports facilities, tourism and hospitality businesses. It could also include businesses that operate primarily as an in-person venue, but which have been forced to close those services and provide a takeaway-only service instead.
Eligible businesses can get one grant for each non-domestic property.
Businesses excluded from the fund
You cannot get funding if:
- you can continue to operate during the lockdown period because you do not depend on providing direct in-person services from your premises (for example, accountants)
- you have chosen to close, but have not been required to close as part of the national lockdown
- your business is in administration, insolvent or has been struck off the Companies House register
- you have exceeded the permitted subsidy limit
You must notify your local council if your situation changes and you no longer meet the eligibility criteria.
The new domestic subsidy allowance for the COVID-19 business support grants took effect on 4 March 2021. Applications made prior to that date are subject to the previous rules.
This scheme is covered by 3 subsidy allowances:
- Small Amounts of Financial Assistance Allowance – you’re allowed up to £335,000 (subject to exchange rates) over any period of 3 years
- COVID-19 Business Grant Allowance – you’re allowed up to £1,600,000
- COVID-19 Business Grant Special Allowance - if you have reached your limits under the Small Amounts of Financial Assistance Allowance and COVID-19 Business Grant Allowance, you may be able to access a further allowance of funding under these scheme rules of up to £9,000,000, provided certain conditions are met
Grants under these 3 allowances can be combined for a potential total allowance of up to £10,935,000 (subject to exchange rates).
What you get
The grant will be based on the rateable value of the property on the first full day of restrictions.
If your business has a property with a rateable value of £15,000 or less, you may be eligible for a one-off cash grant of £4,000.
If your business has a property with a rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000, you may be eligible for a one-off cash grant of £6,000.
If your business has a property with a rateable value of £51,000 or above, you may be eligible for a one-off cash grant of £9,000.
How to apply
Visit your local council’s website to find out how to apply: