The laboratory provides diagnostic microbiological testing services for the examination of food, water and environmental samples.
Birmingham food, water and environmental laboratory provides public health focused testing in line with regulation and guidance for a range of stakeholders including: local authorities, port health authorities, the NHS and commercial companies.
The laboratory serves areas around Birmingham and the counties of Shropshire, Staffordshire, Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Northamptonshire, Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire and Leicestershire.
The laboratory provides a range of services which include:
- general hygiene screens for food samples and surface swabs
- presence of pathogens such as salmonella, listeria, campylobacter, vibrio and Escherichia coli O157
- spoilage organisms such as yeasts and moulds
- swimming and spa pool water quality
- legionella and pseudomonas in water supplies
- endoscopy rinse water and renal dialysis water
- support for investigation of outbreaks
- UKAS no. 1375
- ISO 17025
Food, water and environmental microbiology laboratory Birmingham
Good Hope Hospital
Telephone 0121 424 9241
Fax 0121 424 7244