Actions to take if you receive an error message when sending payroll information using BPT.
These are the most common error messages that you may receive when sending payroll information to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).
7806 - This submission cannot be accepted as it does not fall within the eligible filing period:
- you can only send an Employer Payment Summary or Earlier Year Update (EYU) submission for a year where you reported PAYE in real time - if you didn’t report in real time you must send amended online forms P35 and P14, which are part of PAYE Online service or use the payroll software you used for your original returns if it will allow you to do this
- the submission cannot be accepted as it does not fall within the eligible filing period. The eligible filing period is defined as any period or Tax Year within the date invited to join Real Time Information (RTI) to infinity or the date of cessation plus one full tax year
- if you think you need to submit the PAYE information in real time, telephone HMRC’s Employer Helpline and tell them what this error message says
7802 - You have not been invited to submit this submission type
You can’t resolve this problem without assistance. Telephone HMRC’s Employer Helpline and tell them what this message says.
7801 - Accounts Office reference or Employer PAYE reference is incorrect
Check both reference numbers against paperwork from HMRC and amend the incorrect one. For help in doing this please refer to Basic PAYE Tools: User guide in the sections ‘Finding your way round the Basic PAYE Tools’ and ‘Employer overview’ until you select ‘Change employer details’.
7804 - This submission cannot be accepted as a Full Payment Submission or Earlier Year Update has not been received and successfully validated for this scheme reference
You can’t send a National Insurance number verification request for any employee until 2 weeks after your first successful Full Payment Submission (FPS) or EYU.
7809 - This submission cannot be accepted as the date of submission is after 19 April following the tax year to which it relates, or
5001 - Your submission contains an unrecognised namespace
You can’t send an FPS for a previous tax year after 19 April. If you need to amend employee data for a previous year in which you reported PAYE in real time, you must send an EYU.
7815 - This submission cannot be accepted as this employer scheme has been cancelled
You cannot resolve this problem without assistance. Please telephone HMRC’s Employer Helpline and tell them what this message says.
If the error message you have received isn’t shown above, telephone HMRC’s Online Services Helpdesk.
National Insurance numbers with ‘KC’ prefix
In July we told you that a small number of our customers were not able to submit RTI data for employees with National Insurance numbers with prefix ‘KC’.
From 15 November 2016 customers will be able to submit RTI data for employees using this National Insurance number prefix.
Some software products, including HMRC’s Basic PAYE Tools, may not be updated before April 2017. If this applies to you then you should continue to follow this guidance when submitting your RTI:
- the National Insurance number field should be left blank
- you should make sure the employee address field is completed in those cases
if you/your employee has a ‘KC’ National Insurance number, they don’t need to request a new one.
You should continue to apply tax codes and notices you receive from us in the normal way.
To check whether there are any known issues that may affect your use of BPT, and to find solutions, look at HMRC’s Service issues.