Armed forces compensation for criminal injuries overseas

The Ministry of Defence pays compensation to members of the armed forces who became victims of violent crime, whilst serving outside the UK.


If you are a member of the armed forces, or an accompanying dependant, and you sustained criminal injury whilst located overseas solely for reasons of service commitments, you may be eligible to claim Criminal Injuries (Overseas) Compensation (CIC(O).

Important information

We can consider your application if we receive it within two years of the incident which caused your injury. The purpose of the time limit is to provide a reasonable period for people to make an application that can be supported by reliable evidence. CIC(O) is an evidence based scheme and as such we can only consider your claim based on the information submitted by you or your representative.

For a detailed breakdown of the scheme please see the CIC(O) Scheme Rules 1 July 2017 (PDF, 327 KB, 57 pages)

How to claim

If you think you are eligible to claim, complete, print then sign the CIC(O) Claim Form.

CIC(O) 001 Claim Form

Once you have completed the form, please return to:

Veterans UK Criminal Injuries Compensation (Overseas) Scheme
Room 6311

If you need help

If you have any questions, contact

Veterans UK
Ministry of Defence
Thornton Cleveleys


Freephone (UK only):0808 1914 2 18
Telephone (overseas): +44 1253 866 043
Normal Service 8.00 am to 5.00 pm Monday to Friday

This guidance provides general information only. Every effort has been made to ensure that the information is accurate, but it is not a full and authoritative statement of the law. The CIC(O) Scheme Rules 1 July 2017 (PDF, 327 KB, 57 pages) is the authoritative document.

Updates to this page

Published 18 February 2020
Last updated 13 June 2023 + show all updates
  1. Room number updated

  2. First published.

Sign up for emails or print this page