2007 to 2013 ERDF: applying for funding
This guidance was withdrawn on
This page is now out of date. To view funding opportunities from the 2014-2020 European Structural and Investment Funds programme please visit www.gov.uk/european-structural-investment-funds.
How to apply to the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) for economic regeneration projects promoted primarily by the public sector.
For funding from 2014 to 2020, apply for European Structural and Investment Funds.
Who can apply for ERDF
The European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) is aimed at economic regeneration projects promoted primarily by the public sector. This involves:
- government departments
- local enterprise partnerships
- local authorities
- further and higher education establishments
- other public bodies
- volunteer sector organisations
ERDF grants can also be used in certain circumstances to help to develop small and medium-sized enterprises. In some programmes private sector companies may also apply. See details for each specific programme below.
ERDF helps projects which offer substantial benefits to the programme area and its communities. These projects would not take place without a grant. The rest of the funding, known as ‘match funding’, comes from other sources such as local authorities, government schemes, other public bodies and the private sector.
ERDF is provided in geographically defined operational programmes that aim to support economic regeneration through projects in the areas of innovation, business support and sustaining communities. The current round of programmes started in 2007 and runs until the end of 2013.
Calls for proposals
The are currently no live calls for proposals under the 2007 to 2013 ERDF programmes
Published: 15 November 2012
Updated: 7 July 2014
- Added 2 calls for projects proposals for inclusion on the North East ERDF Programme reserve list.
- Added Yorkshire & Humber call for proposals August 2013.
- North West ERDF call for projects (Merseyside) added.
- North West call for projects added.
- Amended advice on East of England calls for proposals
- New invitation for additional funding launched for the West Midlands ERDF Programme.
- New call added for East of England programme.
- ERDF North East Programme priority 1 and 2 bidding calls launched.
- Added information about North West priority 2 Merseyside call for projects.
- Updated to reflect the current availability of ERDF funding in the local programmes and the current application process.
- Added information about ERDF South East funding round 6.
- Added information about launch of East Midlands ERDF programme Challenge Fund.
- Added information about ERDF North West call for project (place marketing Merseyside).
- Removed text about earlier calls for activity/projects.
- Updated North East calls for proposals section.
- Updated East of England calls for proposals section.
- Updated East of England calls for proposals text to reflect that the bidding round has now closed.
- Added new priority 1 call for the ERDF North West.
- First published.
Related guides: 2007 to 2013 ERDF: national guidance 2007 to 2013 ERDF programmes and resources 2007 to 2013 ERDF programmes: achievements European territorial cooperation programmes ERDF programmes: retaining documents