Check if you can apply for an exemption from Making Tax Digital for VAT.
All VAT registered businesses who have not yet signed up for Making Tax Digital for VAT need to do so. Find out when to sign up for Making Tax Digital and start keeping digital records.
Check if you’re already exempt
You’re automatically exempt from Making Tax Digital for VAT and do not need to apply if:
- you’re already exempt from filing VAT Returns online
- you or your business are subject to an insolvency procedure
Apply for an exemption
You can apply if it’s not reasonable or practical for you to use computers, software or the internet to follow the rules for Making Tax Digital for VAT.
This could be because:
- of your age, a disability or where you live
- you object to using computers on religious grounds
- of any other reason why it’s not reasonable or practical
HMRC will consider each application on a case by case basis.
To apply, call or write to HMRC. You’ll need:
- your VAT registration number
- your business name and address
- details of how you currently file your VAT Return
- the reason you think you’re exempt from Making Tax Digital
- authorisation from the business (if you’re applying on someone’s behalf)
You’ll get a letter with HMRC’s decision. Until then, continue filing VAT Returns the way you usually do.