How to appeal a community infrastructure levy notice under Regulation 117, 118 or 119.
1. When you can appeal
You may appeal against a surcharge (Regulation 117) imposed by the Community Infrastructure Levy collecting authority on the following grounds:
- the claimed breach which led to the imposition of the surcharge did not occur;
- the collecting authority did not serve a liability notice in respect of the chargeable development to which the surcharge relates; or
- that the surcharge has been calculated incorrectly.
- appealing against a surcharge will suspend its effect until the Planning Inspectorate has decided the appeal in question.
You may appeal against any decision by the levy collecting authority where you disagree with the deemed commencement date given in the Demand Notice (Regulation 118).
You may appeal against the issue of a Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) stop notice (Regulation 119) where:
- the collecting authority did not serve a warning notice before imposing the CIL stop notice; or
- the development for which the CIL stop notice was imposed has not commenced.
Deadline for appealing
appeals against a surcharge (Regulation 117) must be made within 28 days of the surcharge
appeals against a decision by the levy collecting authority to deem that development has commenced (Regulation 118) must be made within 28 days of the date the notice was issued
appeals against CIL stop notices must be made within 60 days of the date the notice takes effect.
2. How to appeal
Make your appeal by filling in the appeal form (MS Word Document, 186KB) .
See the guide on how to complete your community infrastructure levy appeal form (PDF, 126KB, 10 pages) .
3. Comment on an appeal
Anyone can comment on a community infrastructure levy appeal.
4. After you appeal
The Planning Inspectorate will check your appeal to make sure it’s valid. They’ll tell you the start date, what happens next and how long your appeal may take.
If anyone behaves unreasonably
You can apply for an ‘award of costs’ if anyone involved in your appeal has cost you money by behaving unreasonably, eg missing deadlines. You can have costs awarded against you too.
You can complain about how the Planning Inspectorate handled your appeal. There’s no time limit for complaints.
5. If you disagree with the appeal decision
You can challenge the decision in the High Court if you think the Planning Inspectorate made a legal mistake.
Get advice from a lawyer if you’re unsure about this.
7. Recent decisions
APP/R0335/L/17/1200103 decision dated 18 October 2017 (PDF, 124KB, 2 pages)
APP/G5750/L/17/1200092 Decision dated 27 September 2017 (PDF, 120KB, 4 pages)
APP/T5720/L/17/1200089 Decision dated 7 September 2017 (PDF, 107KB, 3 pages)
APP/T5720/L/17/1200089 Costs decision dated 7 September 2017 (PDF, 91.7KB, 1 page)
APP/K0235/L/17/1200101: Application for costs - Decision dated 8 August 2017 (PDF, 92.1KB, 1 page)
APP/K0235/L/17/1200101 Decision dated 8 August 2017 (PDF, 118KB, 2 pages)
APP/L3245/L/17/1200095 Decision dated 08 August 2017 (PDF, 152KB, 3 pages)
APP/L3245/L/16/1200070 Decision dated 4 August 2017 (PDF, 149KB, 3 pages)
APP/G1250/L/17/1200105 Decision dated 27/07/2017 (PDF, 101KB, 2 pages)
APP/Q1255/L/17/1200098 Decision dated 20 July 2017 (PDF, 104KB, 2 pages)
APP/Q1255/L/17/1200100 Decision dated 20 July 2017 (PDF, 103KB, 2 pages)
APP/K0235/L/16/1200082 Decision dated 19 July 2017 (PDF, 140KB, 4 pages)
APP/K0235/L/16/1200082: Application for costs Appellant dated 19 July 2017 (PDF, 95KB, 2 pages)
APP/K0235/L/16/1200082: Application for costs Council dated 19 July 2017 (PDF, 112KB, 2 pages)
APP/D3315/L/17/1200094 Decision dated 20 June 2017 (PDF, 102KB, 2 pages)
APP/F0114/L/17/1200096 Decision dated 19 June 2017 (PDF, 104KB, 2 pages)
APP/G1250/L/16/1200088 Decision dated 16 June 2017 (PDF, 116KB, 2 pages)
APP/X4725/L/17/1200099 Decision dated 16 June 2017 (PDF, 103KB, 2 pages)
APP/P5870/L/16/1200066 & 1200068 Decision dated 30/05/2017 (PDF, 115KB, 2 pages)
APP/X4725/L/16/1200071 Decision dated 4/05/2017 (PDF, 129KB, 3 pages)
APP/P0119/L/16/1200073 Decision dated 18/05/2017 (PDF, 141KB, 3 pages)
APP/K3605/L/16/1200069 Decision dated 21 April 2017 (PDF, 175KB, 5 pages)
APP/Z2830/L/16/1200075 Decision dated 29/03/2017 (PDF, 125KB, 3 pages)
APP/X4725/L/16/1200077 - Appeal decision dated 10 March 2017 (PDF, 102KB, 2 pages)
APP/P2365/L/16/1200065 - Appeal decision issued 03 March 2017 (PDF, 103KB, 2 pages)
APP/T5720/L/16/1200061 Appeal decision dated 10 February 2017 (PDF, 105KB, 2 pages)
APP/D1590/L/16/1200060 - Appeal decision issued 19 January 2017 (PDF, 118KB, 2 pages)
APP/Q1255/L/16/1200058 - Appeal decision issued 2 December 2016 (PDF, 99.3KB, 2 pages)
APP/K3605/L/16/1200063 - Appeal decision issued 19 January 2017 (PDF, 97.1KB, 2 pages)
APP/A1910/L/16/1200056 - Appeal Decision issued 11 January 2017 (PDF, 101KB, 2 pages)
APP/W0340/L/16/1200052 - Appeal decision issued 12 January 2017 (PDF, 98.3KB, 2 pages)
APP/P3610/L/16/1200055 - Appeal decision issued on 2 December 2016 (PDF, 108KB, 2 pages)
APP/H5960/L/16/1200049 Decision issued 11 Novemebr 2016 (PDF, 117KB, 3 pages)
APP/G3110/L/16/1200051 Decision issued 1 November 2016 (PDF, 112KB, 2 pages)
Chichester District Council - APP/L3815/L/16/1200046 - Decision issued 21 October 2016 (PDF, 55.4KB, 2 pages)
APP/T5720/L/16/1200043 Decision isued 19th August 2016 (PDF, 101KB, 2 pages)
Poole Borough Council - APP/Q1255/L/16/1200036 Decision issued 8 July 2016 (PDF, 128KB, 3 pages)
South Lakeland District Council, APP/X1735/L/16/1200038 Decision issued 01 July 2016 (PDF, 111KB, 2 pages)
London Borough of Croydon, APP/L5240/L/15/1200030 - Decision issued 17 March 2016 (PDF, 156KB, 3 pages)
Southampton City Council, APP/D1780/L/15/1200028 - Decision issued on 5 November 2015 (PDF, 102KB, 2 pages)
London Borough of Hounslow, APP/F5540/L/14/1200013 – Decision issued 17 September 2015 (PDF, 132KB, 4 pages)
London Borough of Hounslow, APP/F5540/L/15/1200024 – Decision issued 20 August 2015 (PDF, 101KB, 2 pages)
London Borough of Ealing, APP/A5270/L/14/1200016 – Decision issued 14 July 2015 (PDF, 131KB, 3 pages)
Preston City Council, APP/N2345/L/14/1200019 – Decision issued 29 June 2015 (PDF, 131KB, 3 pages)
Purbeck District Council, APP/B1225/L/15/1200022 – Decision issued 5 June 2015 (PDF, 114KB, 2 pages)
London Borough of Merton, APP/T5720/L/14/1200015 – Decision issued 8 May 2015 (PDF, 80.1KB, 4 pages)
Havant Borough Council, APP/X1735/L/14/1200017 - Decision issued 9 January 2015 (PDF, 99.1KB, 3 pages)
Southampton City Council, APP/D1780/L/14/1200010 - Decision issued 17 July 2014 (PDF, 119KB, 3 pages)
Preston City Council, APP/N2345/L/14/1200007 - Decision issued 5 June 2014 (PDF, 140KB, 5 pages)
The Valuation Office Agency publish Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) appeal decisions.
Published: 1 January 2012
Updated: 19 October 2017
- APP/R0335/L/17/1200103 decision added
- APP/G5750/L/17/1200092 decision added
- APP/T5720/L/17/1200089 Decision added
- Decisions added - APP/L3245/L/16/1200070, APP/L3245/L/17/1200095, APP/K0235/L/17/1200101, APP/K0235/L/17/120010
- APP/G1250/L/17/1200105 Decision added
- APP/Q1255/L/17/1200100 and APP/Q1255/L/17/1200098 added
- APP/K0235/L/16/1200082 Decision and 2 costs decisions added
- APP/F0114/L/17/1200096 & APP/D3315/L/17/1200094 Decisions
- APP/X4725/L/17/1200099 and APP/G1250/L/16/1200088 added
- APP/P5870/L/16/1200066 & 1200068 decision added
- APP/P0119/L/16/1200073 decision added
- APP/K3605/L/16/1200069 Decision added
- APP/Z2830/L/16/1200075 Decision added
- APP/X4725/L/16/1200077 Decision added
- APP/T5720/L/16/1200061 Decision added
- 6 Decisions added
- APP/H5960/L/16/1200049 Decision added
- APP/G3110/L/16/1200051 Decision added
- APP/L3815/L/16/1200046 decision added.
- APP/D3315/L/16/1200045 Decision added
- APP/T5720/L/16/1200043 Decision added
- CIL appeal APP/Q1255/L/16/1200036 decision published
- APP/X1735/L/16/1200038 decision added
- Links updated on the 'how to complete your community infrastructure levy appeal form' and removing any reference to the Planning Portal
- March and January 2016 decision added
- APP/L5240/L/15/1200030 Decision added
- First published.