Alcohol and Tobacco Warehousing Declarations
Use Alcohol and Tobacco Warehousing Declarations to send your excise warehousing returns and payment warrants to HMRC.
The Alcohol and Tobacco Warehousing Declarations (ATWD) online service is available to excise warehousekeepers who are authorised to operate premises approved as excise warehouses.
You can use it to submit the following forms online:
- W1 Excise Warehouse Return
- W5 Alcohol Remittance Warrant
- W5D Alcohol Deferment Warrant
- W6 Tobacco Remittance Warrant
- W6D Tobacco Deferment Warrant
ATWD can help you:
- save time - with prepopulated fields and calculations made for you and providing authorisation/rejections online so you don’t have to wait 2 days for a paper copy
- provide more accurate returns - with automatic validation before submission
- keep records - by storing previously submitted returns and warrants
You’ll get an immediate acknowledgement on-screen confirming HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has your return/warrant.
If you have XML software, ATWD can also work with it. This helps reduce admin further with very little manual intervention needed.
Enrol and activate
You’ll need a Government Gateway account before you can start using the ATWD service. If you don’t already have one you’ll need to sign up as an organisation then select the ATWD service and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the registration process.
You’ll need to enter your excise warehouse ID (found on your warehouse approval letter) and the warehouse postcode. If you operate more than one excise warehouse, you’ll need to separately enrol each warehouse for ATWD.
Provided you’ve entered the correct details, you should receive an Activation Code from HMRC within 7 days. You’ll need to use this to activate the service.
If you don’t activate your account within 28 days, you’ll need to enrol again.
If you haven’t received your code within two weeks, please contact the ATWD Online Services Helpdesk.