This guide contains information for providers with a current Education and Skills Funding Agency funding agreement and AEB allocation.
Applies to England
On 1 August 2019, the adult education budget (AEB) was apportioned between the ESFA and initially 6 mayoral combined authorities (MCA’s) and the Greater London Authority (GLA).
As part of the devolution deals, certain adult education functions, in the Apprenticeships Skills, Children and Learning Act 2009 which are funded by the AEB, were transferred from the Secretary of State for Education to the devolved MCAs in relation to their respective areas by Legislative Orders. These functions have been delegated to the Mayor of London in respect of the GLA.
These are the Mayoral Combined Authorities and Greater London Authority delivering devolved AEB
You can find further information about devolved authorities’ adult skills (AEB) on the devolved authorities’ websites by following the below links:
The following devolved areas became responsible for administering the AEB from 1 August 2019
- Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
- Greater Manchester
- Greater London
- Liverpool City Region
- Tees Valley
- West of England
- West Midlands
North of Tyne became responsible for administering the AEB from 1 August 2020
Sheffield City Region and West Yorkshire (subject to legislation being in place) will become responsible for administering the AEB from 1 August 2021
Providers who wish to deliver to learners residing in areas where the AEB funding support is devolved will need to discuss funding arrangements directly with the relevant authority.
The following guidance remains in place for ESFA funded AEB:
- 19+ funding allocations
- AEB funding rules for 2020 to 2021
- AEB Legal Entitlements and Eligibility
- AEB funding rates and formula 2020 to 2021
- ILR technical documents, guidance and requirements
- ESFA Education and Skills agreements 2020 to 2021
- College oversight support and intervention regime
- Oversight of Independent Training Providers
- AEB Postcode Dataset
- Memoranda of understanding between DfE, mayoral combined authorities and the Mayor of London
- Financial Assurance: Monitoring the funding rules for post-16 funding