Beta This is a test version of the layout of this page. Take the survey to help us improve it
Academies: funding claims
This guide details how academies can apply for top-up funding for insurance premiums and claim for national non-domestic rates.
Insurance top-up funding
Top-up funding is for academies with specific and exceptional circumstances that may result in their being unable to meet the full cost of insurance premiums from their funding.
Insurance related VAT, motor insurance and insurance to cover staff absence are not eligible for reimbursement. Health and safety risk assessments and business continuity planning are also not eligible, nor will insurance premium tax be reimbursed on ineligible items.
The claim form for policies of more than one year taken out before February 2014 to cover the period through to August 2017 is now available. The first payment will be available from January 2017.
The period to August 2017 is the last year that top-up funding for additional insurance costs will be available. This is following the response to consultation on risk protection arrangements for academy trusts.
Arrangements for 2015 to 2016
Academies need to submit an online form to EFA to claim for top-up funding for insurance for the 2015 to 2016 academic year. Academies that have already claimed for insurance top-up funding that includes a period from September 2016 onwards will have an appropriate adjustment made automatically to their funding. These academies will be advised prior to the adjustment being made.
Arrangements for 2016 to 2017
New claims for top-up funding for the 2016 to 2017 academic year can be made through the online form. This applies to policies of more than one year that were taken out before 14 February 2014, when the risk protection arrangement (RPA) for academy trusts was announced. When claiming, the academy will need:
- Their URN
- The date the policy was obtained
- The start date for the claim
- The end date of the claim (this must be no more than one calendar year from the start date)
- The end date of the policy
- The total cost of the premium for the period for the start and end dates listed.
National non-domestic rates
Academies need to submit an online form to claim funding for national non-domestic rates (NNDR). Academies can use the form to make claims for the 2015 to 2016 financial year and, from 31 March 2015, the 2016 to 2017 financial year.
To make a claim, academies will need their URN (available from Edubase) and their NNDR bills for the 2015 to 2016 and the 2016 to 2017 financial years. This is so that they can give the values for both years in full, prior to any relief being applied and for the full 12 month period. Only the bill values are required when making a claim, EFA does not need a copy of the actual bills. You should, however, hold these records and provide them where necessary for audit purposes.
Academies without a predecessor will not have a historic bill and should enter £0 for this element. If an academy opened in the financial year being claimed for, they should recalculate the bill they hold to reflect a full year without relief applied. They should enter this full year value into the form. The form will then calculate the payment to show the amount due for the remainder of the financial year. Academies should check the displayed value matches their required funding amount. Depending on monthly payment deadlines, EFA will make one payment within 2 months of receiving a claim.
NNDR claims should only be submitted for academy buildings. Rented facilities are not eligible for NNDR funding.
Published: 17 June 2014
Updated: 7 November 2016
- Updated information on insurance top-up funding for 2016 to 2017.
- The new NNDR claims form is now available for the 2016 to 2017 financial year.
- Insurance top up information updated.
- Date insurance top up claim form available changed from October to December 2015.
- Removed information for academic year 2013 to 2014 and information on claim form for 2015 to 2016 added.
- This page has been updated because claims for 2015 to 2016 financial year national non-domestic rates can be made from 31 March 2015.
- Detail added about eligibility for top-up insurance claims
- Updated to change the link to form for 2013 to 2014 claims.
- Inserted a date by which to submit NNDR funding claims
- Link added to online form for top-up funding for insurance for 2014 to 2015.
- Updated to remove the reference to the risk protection arrangement.
- Updated with information about insurance top-funding claims for 2014 to 2015.
- First published.
From: Education Funding Agency