This guide explains how academies can claim for national non-domestic rates.
National non-domestic rates
Academies need to submit an online form to claim funding for national non-domestic rates (NNDR). Academies can use the form to make claims for the 2015 to 2016, 2016 to 2017, and 2017 to 2018 financial years.
To make a claim, academies will need their URN (available from Edubase) and their NNDR bills for the year they wish to claim for and the previous year.
For example, if the academy is claiming for 2016 to 2017, they will require the bills for 2016 to 2017, and 2015 to 2016. This is so that they can give the values for both years in full, prior to any relief being applied and for the full 12-month period. The prior year figures are used to quality assure the value entered for the year being claimed.
Only the bill values are required when making a claim, ESFA does not need a copy of the actual bills. You should, however, hold these records and provide them where necessary for audit purposes.
Academies without a predecessor will not have a historic bill and should enter £0 for this element. If an academy opened in the financial year being claimed for, they should recalculate the bill they hold to reflect a full year without relief applied. They should enter this full year value into the form.
The form will then calculate the payment to show the amount due for the remainder of the financial year. Academies should check the displayed value matches their required funding amount. Depending on monthly payment deadlines, ESFA will make one payment within 2 months of receiving a claim.
NNDR claims should only be submitted for academy buildings. Rented facilities are not eligible for NNDR funding.
Insurance top-up funding
Following the consultation that took place from December 2015 to January 2016, the decision was taken to remove insurance top-up funding from academy funding.
Academy trusts can now either:
- join the department’s risk protection arrangement scheme
- find their own policy most suitable to their needs without any additional funding from ESFA
Published: 17 June 2014
Updated: 5 September 2017
- Updated to explain the decision taken to remove insurance top-up funding from academy funding.
- Updated to include details of how to claim for national non-domestic rates in 2017 to 2018.
- Updated information on insurance top-up funding for 2016 to 2017.
- The new NNDR claims form is now available for the 2016 to 2017 financial year.
- Insurance top up information updated.
- Date insurance top up claim form available changed from October to December 2015.
- Removed information for academic year 2013 to 2014 and information on claim form for 2015 to 2016 added.
- This page has been updated because claims for 2015 to 2016 financial year national non-domestic rates can be made from 31 March 2015.
- Detail added about eligibility for top-up insurance claims
- Updated to change the link to form for 2013 to 2014 claims.
- Inserted a date by which to submit NNDR funding claims
- Link added to online form for top-up funding for insurance for 2014 to 2015.
- Updated to remove the reference to the risk protection arrangement.
- Updated with information about insurance top-funding claims for 2014 to 2015.
- First published.