We develop and maintain close bilateral relations with Uganda, in accordance with British government policies.

We are responsible for the political relationship between the UK and Uganda, and we provide advice and guidance on political and governance issues.

We provide assistance and documentary services to British nationals in Uganda. The UK Trade and Investment Section provides assistance to both British and Ugandan businesses.

Our services

Travel advice

Information on staying safe and avoiding problems when living or travelling abroad, with links to our embassies, high commissions and other diplomatic posts across the world.


How to renew or replace your British passport when visiting the UK and information on getting replacement travel documents if your passport is lost or stolen.

Emergency travel documents

We may be able to provide an emergency travel document if you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel. If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, you should contact your nearest consulate as soon as possible. For all other applications, please check what you must bring with you and then make an appointment at your nearest consulate using the links below. Please call your nearest consulate for advice before making an appointment if:

  • you have never applied for a British passport before
  • you are applying on behalf of a child

An emergency travel document does not guarantee entry to every country. Read what an emergency travel document does.

Book an appointment for an emergency travel document in Kampala


This High Commission does not deal with visa matters. For information on whether you need a visa to travel to the United Kingdom and how to apply, please see the UK Visas & Immigration page.

Births, deaths and marriages

Information on how you can register a birth or death which occurred overseas, and legal documents for couples marrying or entering into civil partnerships abroad.

Legalisation Service

How to get official confirmation that your UK public documentation is genuine so it can be accepted by foreign authorities. The UK does not require any documents to be legalised for use within the UK.

Consular Fees

A full list of Consular fees

Living in Uganda Guide

Advice for British people living in Uganda including information on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more.

Notarial services

For legal reasons we cannot provide notarial services, administer oaths or take affidavits in Commonwealth countries. You should contact a local notary. A standard letter is available to confirm we do not offer these services in Uganda

Prepare a document in English in case of death

In case of death, we can provide a letter to the local authorities to facilitate a local cremation or a Laissez-Passer for remains which are being repatriated to the UK.

The wording must be cleared with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London, which means these documents will take longer to prepare. We can only provide this service if we have proof that the wording/content you require is correct and unambiguous. This service is provided at the discretion of consular staff and we can refuse to provide it. Please contact the High Commission before making an appointment. What you will need to bring with you:

  • The wording or content and proof it is correct and unambiguous
  • Proof of identity/address. We accept passports or national identity cards as proof of identity. We accept We accept a letter from your Local Council as proof of your address.
  • The correct fee – see the list of fees. We accept payment by cash in the local currency on the day of the appointment.

Book an appointment to prepare a document in English in Kampala

List of Lawyers

A list of lawyers prepared by the British High Commission Kampala for the convenience of British Nationals who may require legal advice and assistance in Uganda. It is provided on the understanding that we (the British High Commission) do not assume or undertake any legal responsibility, to you, or those affected, if you choose to take it into account when instructing a local lawyer.

Medical Facilities/Practitioners

A list of medical facilities/practitioners prepared by the British High Commission Kampala for the convenience of British Nationals who may require these services and assistance in Uganda.

Funeral Directors

A list of funeral directors prepared by the British High Commission Kampala for the convenience of British Nationals who may require this service and assistance in Uganda.

Prisoner Pack

This guide aims to explain the legal and prison system to British Nationals who are imprisoned. You can also read about how to apply for a transfer back to a UK prison.

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

What our consular section cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
  • help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
  • make business arrangements on your behalf
  • issue a full British passport.

Our people

Alison Blackburne

Alison Blackburne

British High Commissioner to Uganda

Contact us

British High Commission Kampala

British High Commission
4 Windsor Loop, P. O. Box 7070

Access and opening times