British Ambassador to Latvia
We represent the British government in its relations with the Latvian government.
We support the full range of British interests in Latvia through mutually beneficial co-operation, including political, commercial, security and economic issues.
Out-of-hours emergency assistance
British nationals who need emergency assistance outside normal office hours should call 00 371 67774700 where they will be given details on how to proceed and how to contact a duty officer if needed.
Emergency travel documents
Information about how to get an emergency travel document if your UK passport is lost or stolen.
For information on how to apply for your first passport or renew an existing passport, please visit our passport section of this website.
Please note that our Consular section cannot deal with individual enquiries about passport applications.
From 7 April 2014 our new commercial partner Teleperformance Ltd will take over the running of our Visa Application Centre in Riga. The Visa Application Centre will move to UK Visa Application Centre, Regus Business Centre, Terbatas iela 14-2, Riga, LV-1011
In addition we are making the following changes to the visa service that we offer:
• Opening hours will be every Monday and Tuesday from 09.00 – 13.00.
• User Pays charges. There will be a charge of £59 to use the Visa Application Centre in Riga. This will be in addition to the visa fee and will be charged in Euros using the consular rate of exchange prevalent at the time. This charge covers the cost of providing the application submission facilities.
Applicants must register on the Teleperformance Website, after they have booked their appointment, to pay for their appointment slot, and any further additional services required. Prior registration with Teleperformance will also ensure your application is processed quickly.
• The following additional services will be available from Riga. All charges will be payable in Euros using our consular rate of exchange:
o Priority Visa Service – £100 – allows you to have your visa application placed at the front of the queue by UK Visas & Immigration normally enabling a decision within 3-5 working days
o Return courier – allows you to receive your decision by courier to your chosen address rather than returning to the Visa Application Centre to collect it. This is included in the user pay fee
• Applicants have the alternative option of applying instead at The Decision Making Centre in Warsaw, open every week Monday to Thursday. There is no additional charge for applications lodged in Warsaw.
Further details on all of the services, including eligibility criteria, will be available on the Teleperformance Website once you have registered. If you require further information regarding UK Visa Services, please visit GOV.UK
From 1 April 2014 UK visa customers will be able to use our new international enquiry service to find information about the visa application process. The following services are available:
• Email contact service: a web form enables customers to make email enquiries
• Webchat: customers can access a real time webchat with an agent for a charge of £4 a session
• Telephone contact service: speaking to an advisor will cost £1.37 plus the cost of the call. Call costs will vary depending on the call type, the customer’s tariff and local charges.
The service is provided by Hinduja Global Solutions (HGS) working in partnership with UK Visas and Immigration to provide enquiry services to people applying for a visa.
Please note that the Consular section cannot deal with individual enquiries about visa applications. For all visa enquiries, please contact the UK Border Agency.
Notarial and documentary services
Information about notarial and documentary services available at the Consular section in British Embassy Riga.
Registering a birth or death
Understanding your legal requirements in Latvia and how you can register a birth or death, and information on legal documents for couples marrying or entering into civil partnerships abroad.
How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above we can also:
• provide information about transferring funds
• provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
• help people with mental illness
• do all we properly can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been detained
• offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, death of relatives overseas, missing people and kidnapping
• contact family or friends for you if you want
• make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters
UK law says we have to charge for some services. Details of our current fees and the standards of service you can expect to receive are on display in our Consular section.
What our consular section cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
• get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
• help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
• give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers
• get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
• pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you will have to pay back)
• make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
• make business arrangements on your behalf
Travel advice for Latvia
Travel advice for Latvia. Information, news and updates for Latvia to ensure you stay safe, avoid problems, and make informed decisions when living or travelling in Latvia.
Deputy Head of Mission, Latvia