British Ambassador to Latvia
We represent the British government in its relations with the Latvian government.
We support the full range of British interests in Latvia through mutually beneficial co-operation, including political, commercial, security and economic issues.
Out-of-hours emergency assistance
British nationals who need emergency assistance outside normal office hours should call 00 371 67774700 where they will be given details on how to proceed and how to contact a duty officer if needed.
Emergency travel documents
We may be able to provide an emergency travel document if you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel. If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, you should contact your nearest consulate as soon as possible.
For all other applications, please check what you must bring with you and then make an appointment at your nearest consulate using the links below. Please call your nearest consulate for advice before making an appointment if:
- you have never applied for a British passport before
- you are applying on behalf of a child
An emergency travel document does not guarantee entry to every country. Read what an emergency travel document does.
For information on how to apply for your first passport or renew an existing passport, please visit our passport section of this website.
Please note that our Consular section cannot deal with individual enquiries about passport applications.
This Embassy does not deal with visa matters. For information on whether you need a visa to travel to the United Kingdom and how to apply, please see the UK Visas & Immigration page.
Notarial and documentary services
Information about notarial and documentary services available at the Consular section in British Embassy Riga. To book the appointment please send email to email@example.com.
Registering a birth or death
Understanding your legal requirements in Latvia and how you can register a birth or death, and information on legal documents for couples marrying or entering into civil partnerships abroad.
How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above we can also:
• provide information about transferring funds
• provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
• help people with mental illness
• do all we properly can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been detained
• offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, death of relatives overseas, missing people and kidnapping
• contact family or friends for you if you want
• make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters
UK law says we have to charge for some services. Details of our current fees and the standards of service you can expect to receive are on display in our Consular section.
What our consular section cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
• get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
• help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
• give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers
• get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
• pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you will have to pay back)
• make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
• make business arrangements on your behalf
Travel advice for Latvia
Travel advice for Latvia. Information, news and updates for Latvia to ensure you stay safe, avoid problems, and make informed decisions when living or travelling in Latvia.
Deputy Head of Mission, Latvia