British Ambassador to Panama
We represent the British government and people in their relations with Panama.
We play an active role in improving political and economic links between Panama and the UK. We support British interests in Panama and provide consular assistance to British nationals.
Out-of-hours emergency assistance
British nationals who need emergency assistance outside normal office hours should call +507 297 6550 where they will be given details on how to proceed and how to contact a duty officer if needed.
For information on how to apply for your first passport or renew an existing passport, please visit the overseas passport section of this website. Please note that our consulates cannot deal with individual enquiries about passport applications.
Passport extensions & emergency child travel documents
Details of how to get a passport extension or emergency child travel document can be found here. If you want to make an appointment, contact our Consular section using the details at the foot of this page.
Emergency travel documents
Information about how to get an emergency travel document if your UK passport is lost or stolen.
Visit our travel advice for Panama for information, news and updates, to ensure you stay safe, avoid problems, and make informed decisions when living or travelling abroad.
For information on whether you require a visa for the United Kingdom and how to apply, go to the UK Border Agency website.
Births, deaths and marriages
Understanding your legal requirements in Panama and how you can register a birth or death, and information on legal documents for couples marrying or entering into civil partnerships abroad.
Visit the Legalisation Office website for information on how to get official confirmation that your UK public documentation is genuine, so it can be accepted by foreign authorities. The UK does not require any documents to be legalised for use within the UK.
Notarial and documentary services
List of lawyers and interpreters
A list of English speaking lawyers and translators who may be able to help you with official transactions in Panama. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the British Embassy or the UK government
Explanation of the prison system in Panama for British nationals.
How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above we can also:
- issue emergency passports (emergency travel documents)
- provide information about transferring funds
- provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
- help people with mental illness
- provide details of local lawyers, interpreters, doctors and funeral directors
- do all we properly can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been detained
- offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, death of relatives overseas, missing people and kidnapping
- contact family or friends for you if you want
- make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters
What our consulate cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
- get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
- help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
- give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers
- get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
- pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you will have to pay back)
- make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
- make business arrangements on your behalf
British Embassy Panama City
Humboldt Tower, 4th Floor
Calle 53, Marbella
(PO Box 0816-07946)
Switchboard (507) 297 6550
Facsmile (507) 297 6588
Monday to Thursday 7:30am to 4:30pm
Friday 7:30am to 12:30pm