British Ambassador to Oman
Serving British interests and citizens in Oman, promoting regional security and prosperity
We provide a range of services in Oman to the public and to business. We have 14 UK based staff and over 50 staff employed locally.
Services for British nationals
If you’re in Oman and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or there has been a death), call +968 2460 9000. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Oman, call 020 7008 1500.
Get or renew a passport
The British embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help. You must have British nationality to apply for a British passport.
Get an emergency travel document
If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.
- are over 16 years old and
- are a British citizen and
- have previously owned a British passport
- over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
- not a British citizen or
- applying for a child under 16 years old
Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at British Embassy Muscat.
Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to Oman, see travel advice for Oman.
Get a visa
The British embassy can’t help with visa enquiries.
If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.
If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.
For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.
We can issue certificates of no impediment and, in some circumstances, perform a marriage for British nationals. For information on getting married in Oman and how to apply for documents, see getting married abroad.
Register a birth or death
If the death occurred in Oman and you’re still in the country, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.
Support if you’ve been arrested
We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in Oman. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.
Notarial and documentary services
We may be able to offer notarial services, including affirmations and affidavits, certificates and certified copies of documents such as passports. See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.
The British Embassy Muscat does not provide legalisation services.
Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine).
Local service providers
Use our lists of local suppliers and services if you need help in Oman. Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British embassy or the UK government.
How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above we can also:
- provide information about transferring funds
- provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
- help people with mental illness
- offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing peopleand kidnapping
- contact family or friends for you if you want
- make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad
For more information on the services we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.
General information on living in Oman
What the embassy cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
- help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
- give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
- get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
- pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
- make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
- make business arrangements on your behalf
We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Oman
British Embassy Muscat, main contact
PO Box 185
Mina Al Fahal
Telephone enquiries +968 2460 9000
Fax general +968 2460 9010
Fax commercial +968 2460 9012
Fax consular +968 24609011
Visa International Enquiry Service https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-outside-uk
Sunday to Thursday, 7:30am to 2:30pm (Local)
Sunday to Thursday, 4:30am to 11:30am (GMT)
If you need to visit the British Embassy for a consular issue, you may need to make an appointment. For all notarial and documentary services an appointment has to be made in advance of your visit. Please visit the notarial and documentary services section for detailed guidance