British Ambassador to Spain
We develop and maintain relations between the United Kingdom and Spain. We work on issues including the economy, commercial regulation in the single market, energy policy and international security. (We also cover Andorra remotely.)
Our consular network
We have one of the largest British consular networks in the world with consulates in Alicante, Barcelona, Ibiza, Las Palmas, Málaga, Palma de Mallorca and Tenerife. These offices deal with a wide range of issues in a country that receives around 13 million British visitors a year and where an estimated 800,000 Britons live for all or part of the year. Please check below for our opening hours.
Out-of-hours emergency assistance
British nationals who need emergency assistance outside normal office hours should call +34 902 109 356 where they will be given details on how to proceed and how to contact a duty officer if needed.
Emergency travel documents
Information about how to get an emergency travel document (ETD) if your UK passport is lost or stolen.
If you are travelling in the next week and your passport is not available, you may be able to apply for an ETD. You can book an appointment at the following British Consulates in Spain:
If you are travelling within the next 24 hours or want to visit another British Consulate in Spain, please call 902 109 356 or +34 913 342 194 to arrange an ETD.
If your passport has been lost you will need a police report before an ETD can be issued. You can make a police report at the nearest Guardia Civil or National Police office. You can make a provisional police report in English by calling 902 102 112, then go the nearest National Police station to collect the final report.
For information on how to apply for your first passport or renew an existing passport, please visit the overseas passport section of this website.
Please note that our consulates cannot deal with individual enquiries about passport applications.
For information on whether you require a visa for the United Kingdom and how to apply for a visa in Spain, please visit the website of the official partner of UK Visas and Immigration .
The British Embassy in Madrid no longer handles visa enquiries or applications.
Pensions and benefits in Spain
Healthcare in Spain
A guide for British nationals living, or planning to live, in Spain on the different ways to access healthcare.
Notarial and documentary services
Information about official documents, certificates, letters, and notes available at British consulates in Spain.
A guide explaining the new rules for British citizens applying for residency in Spain, what documents are required, and information on the right to reside in Spain for both British citizens and non-EU family members. The guide includes information about registering on the Padron with your local town hall.
Registering a birth or death
Understanding your legal requirements in Spain and how to register births and deaths.
List of lawyers and interpreters
A list of English speaking lawyers and interpreters who may be able to help you with official transactions in Spain. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the British Embassy or the UK government.
Living in Spain
Information for British nationals living in Spain who need information about services that are not provided by our consulates, but that you may find useful in specific circumstances.
Buying property in Spain
Information to help you make a full and considered decision about buying a property in Spain.
Marriage in Spain
Details of who you need to talk to and what documents you may require if you are thikning about getting married in Spain.
Information, news updates and Spain travel advice, to ensure you stay safe, avoid problems and make informed decisions when living or travelling abroad.
How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above we can also:
- provide information about transferring funds
- provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
- help people with mental illness
- do all we properly can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been detained
- offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, death of relatives overseas, missing people and kidnapping
- contact family or friends for you if you want
- make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters
UK law says we have to charge for some services. Details of our current fees and the standards of service you can expect to receive are on display in all our consular offices
What our consulates cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
- get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
- help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
- give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers
- get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
- pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you will have to pay back)
- make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
- make business arrangements on your behalf
- renew or replace a full British passport
Deputy Head of Mission, Spain
British Consulate General Madrid
British Consulate Alicante
British Consulate Ibiza
Avenida Isidoro Macabich 45
1º1ª (corner with Calle Canarias)
Fax +34 971 301 972
902 109 356 (in Spain)
(+34) 917 146 300 (if outside Spain)
Consular phone lines are open from 9:00am to 5:00pm.
Apartado de correos 307
British Consulate Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
British Consulate Palma de Mallorca
British Consulate Santa Cruz de Tenerife