Chargé d'Affaires Ad Interim to Hungary
We develop and maintain the important and longstanding relations between the United Kingdom and Hungary. We deal with a wide range of political, commercial, consular, security and economic questions of interest to the UK and Hungary.
We promote bilateral political relations between the UK and Hungary, and work closely with the Hungarian government to address international issues of concern through cooperation and projects between the UK and Hungarian partners.
Our UK Trade and Investment section supports British exports to, and investment in Hungary, providing a wide range of services to both British and Hungarian businesses.
Through our public diplomacy section we provide information about Britain and British government policies to the media and to the general public. We also offer press, radio and television services for journalists.
We provide consular services and help to British citizens in Hungary. We issue Emergency Travel Documents (ETD) and register births and deaths of British subjects in Hungary.
Out of hours emergency assistance
British nationals who need emergency assistance outside normal office hours should call +36 1 266 2888 where they will be given details on how to proceed and how to contact a duty officer if needed.
Emergency travel documents
We may be able to provide an emergency travel document if you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel. If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, you should contact your nearest consulate as soon as possible.
For all other applications, please check what you must bring with you and then make an appointment at your nearest consulate using the links below. Please call your nearest consulate for advice before making an appointment if:
- you have never applied for a British passport before
- you are applying on behalf of a child
An emergency travel document does not guarantee entry to every country. Read what an emergency travel document does.
Living in Hungary
UK and Hungarian benefits for British citizens living in Hungary, and administrative information for British nationals moving to Hungary can be found here.
For information on how to apply for your first passport or renew an existing passport, please visit the overseas passport section of this website.
Please note that our consulates cannot deal with individual enquiries about passport applications.
Notarial and documentary services
Information about official documents, certificates, letters, and notes available at the British Embassy in Hungary.
How to get official confirmation that your UK public documentation is genuine so it can be accepted by foreign authorities. The UK does not require any documents to be legalised for use within the UK. Click here for more information.
Registering a birth or death
Getting married in Hungary
If you are planning to get married in Hungary please see our marriage abroad information.
This Embassy does not deal with visa matters. For information on whether you need a visa to travel to the United Kingdom and how to apply, please see the UK Visas & Immigration page.
Please see our travel advice for information, news and updates to ensure you stay safe, avoid problems, and make informed decisions when living or travelling in Hungary.
List of lawyers and interpreters
A list of English speaking lawyers and interpreters who may be able to help you with official transactions in Hungary. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the British Embassy or the UK government.
How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above we can also:
- provide information about transferring funds
- provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
- help people with mental illness
- do all we properly can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been detained
- offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, death of relatives overseas, missing people and kidnapping
- contact family or friends for you if you want
- make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters
UK law says we have to charge for some services. Details of our current fees and the standards of service you can expect to receive are on display in our consular office.
What our consulate cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
- get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
- help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
- give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers
- get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
- pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you will have to pay back)
- make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
- make business arrangements on your behalf
- assist with visa application enquiries
Deputy Head of Mission, Hungary
British Embassy Budapest
Harmincad utca 6
Telephone +36 (1) 266 2888
Fax (public diplomacy/management) +36 (1) 266 0907
Fax (consular/UKTI) +36 (1) 429 6296
Fax (policy) +36 (1) 429 6301
Email (trade and investment enquiries) firstname.lastname@example.org
Email (consular & passport enquiries) email@example.com