British Ambassador to Hungary
We develop and maintain relations between the UK and Hungary. Our work covers a range of issues including trade and investment.
We promote bilateral political relations between the UK and Hungary, and work closely with the Hungarian government to address international issues of concern through cooperation and projects between the UK and Hungarian partners.
Our UK Trade and Investment section supports British exports to, and investment in Hungary, providing a wide range of services to both British and Hungarian businesses.
Through our public diplomacy section we provide information about Britain and British government policies to the media and to the general public. We also offer press, radio and television services for journalists.
Services for British nationals
If you’re in Hungary and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or there has been a death), call +36 (1) 266 2888. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Hungary call 020 7008 1500.
Get or renew a passport
The British embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.
Get an emergency travel document
If you’re due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible. Call us before making an appointment if you’ve never applied for a British passport before or if you’re applying for a child under the age of 16.
Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to Hungary, see travel advice for Hungary.
Get a visa
The British embassy can’t help with visa enquiries.
If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.
If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.
For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.
Marriage and civil partnerships
We can issue certificates of affirmations or affidavits of marital status and, in some circumstances, perform a marriage or civil partnership for British nationals. For information on getting married in Hungary, see getting married abroad.
Register a birth or death
If the death occurred in Hungary and you’re still in the country, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.
Read our guidance on coping with death abroad
Support if you’ve been arrested
We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in Hungary. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.
Notarial and documentary services
We may be able to offer notarial services, including administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit; and make a certified copy of a document. See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.
Budapest provides legalisation services. Read our notarial and documentary services page for more information on legalisation.
Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine).
Local service providers
Use our lists of local suppliers and services if you need help in Hungary Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British embassy or the UK government.
How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above we can also:
- provide information about transferring funds
- provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
- help people with mental illness
- offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing peopleand kidnapping
- contact family or friends for you if you want
- make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad
For more information on the services we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.
General information on living in Hungary
What the embassy cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
- help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
- give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
- get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
- pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
- make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
- make business arrangements on your behalf
We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Hungary
Deputy Head of Mission, Hungary
British Embassy Budapest
Harmincad utca 6
Telephone +36 (1) 266 2888
Fax (public diplomacy/management) +36 (1) 266 0907
Fax (consular/UKTI) +36 (1) 429 6296
Fax (policy) +36 (1) 429 6301
Email (trade and investment enquiries) email@example.com
Email (consular & passport enquiries) firstname.lastname@example.org