We maintain and develop relations between the UK and Hungary. Our work covers a range of issues including policy, defence and security, trade and investment.

Read the latest information on the rights and status of UK nationals in the EU.

Find out more on our UK and Hungary news page

The British Embassy in Budapest provides services to British nationals living in and visiting Hungary.

You can access UK government services while in Hungary, including our Living in Hungary guide

Urgent assistance

If you’re in Hungary and you need urgent help (for example, you’ve been attacked, arrested or someone has died), call +36 (1) 266 2888. If you’re in the UK and worried about a British national in Hungary, call 020 7008 1500.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

Apply online for an emergency travel document

If the person needing the emergency travel document is under 16, a parent or guardian should apply on their behalf.

If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.

If you are travelling in more than 3 weeks, check if you can get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you are not a British citizen or have not had a British passport before

If you’re not sure, check if you’re a British citizen

If you’re not a British citizen but think you may be eligible, contact us to apply for an emergency travel document.

Other consular services

Notarial and documentary services

We may be able to offer notarial services, including administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit; and make a certified copy of a document. See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.

Legalise a UK document

Legalisation is the official confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on an official public document is genuine. It does not certify the authenticity of a document or give approval of its content. UK public documents such as birth, death, marriage and divorce certificates can be legalised by the UK government in the UK. This is also known as an apostille.

Before arriving in Hungary, you are advised to check with the authorities if they require UK documents to be legalised and get copies of documents you require legalised before you travel.

The Legalisation Office in the UK can legalise UK public documents and you can find information on how to do this here.

British Embassy and Consulate in Hungary are unable to legalise UK public documents.

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Hungary.

Our people

Iain Lindsay OBE

Iain Lindsay OBE

British Ambassador to Hungary

Contact us

British Embassy Budapest

Füge utca 5-7

Use our contact form for consular enquiries including EU Exit guidance, residency, healthcare and driving:

Access and opening times