We develop and maintain relations between the UK and Belgium.

In close liaison with British and Belgian businesses, we improve trade and investment performance and develop our commercial diplomacy to best serve Britain’s economic interests and prosperity. The embassy also works with the Belgian authorities on justice and home affairs, science and innovation, environment and climate change, and international crisis management. Additionally, the embassy and its consulate work on delivering a high quality consular assistance service to British nationals.

British Consulate Brussels: Services for British nationals

Urgent assistance

If you’re in Belgium and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or there has been a death), call + 32 2 287 62 11. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Belgium, call 020 7008 1500.

Get or renew a passport

The British embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

  • are over 16 years old and
  • are a British citizen and
  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact us to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

  • over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
  • not a British citizen or
  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at the British Embassy Brussels.

Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to Belgium, see travel advice for Belgium.

Get a visa

The British embassy can’t help with visa enquiries.

If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.

If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.

For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.


We can issue affirmations or affidavits of marital status for British nationals. For information on getting married in Belgium, see getting married abroad.

Same-sex relationships in Belgium that are recognised as civil partnerships under British law are known as:

  • marriage
  • ‘cohabitation légale’, ‘wettelijke samenwoning’, or ‘gesetzliches zusammenwohnen’, ‘statutory cohabitation’

Register a birth or death

Find out how to register a birth or register a death that occurred in Belgium. You can’t register a birth or death at the embassy.

There is no legal requirement for you to register the birth or death of a British national in Belgium with UK authorities. The locally issued certificates should be sufficient for all purposes. In most circumstances there is no requirement to register a birth with us if you are applying for a new passport.

Bereavement support

If the death occurred in Belgium and you’re still in the country, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.

Read our guidance on coping with death abroad as well as our bereavement guide in Belgium.

Support if you’ve been arrested

We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in Belgium. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.

Notarial and documentary services

We may be able to offer notarial services, including Administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit; Make a certified copy of a document (British passports only). See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.

Legalisation services

How to get official confirmation that your UK public documentation is genuine so it can be accepted by foreign authorities. The UK does not require any documents to be legalised for use within the UK.

Local service providers

Use our lists of local suppliers and services if you need help in Belgium. Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British embassy or the UK government.

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds
  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
  • help people with mental illness
  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing peopleand kidnapping
  • contact family or friends for you if you want
  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

For more information on the services we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.

General information on living in Belgium

What the embassy cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
  • make business arrangements on your behalf
  • renew or replace a full British passport

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Belgium.

Press enquiries

You can contact us on (+32) 2 287 62 11, Monday to Friday, 8.30am until 4pm. You can also send an email to: public.brussels@fco.gov.uk marked MEDIA in the subject line. For media queries outside of business hours, please call the FCO Newsdesk (+44) 207 008 3100.

Public enquiries

You can contact us on (+32) 2 287 62 11, Monday to Friday, 8.30am until 4pm for your enquiries relating to the Embassy’s work. You can also email us at: public.brussels@fco.gov.uk. We aim to respond within 10 working days. Please note that we do not answer enquiries about passports or visa applications.

Our people

Alison Rose

Alison Rose

British Ambassador to Belgium

Contact us

British Embassy Brussels

Avenue d’Auderghem 10
1040 Brussels

Access and opening times

British Consulate Brussels

Avenue d'Auderghem 10
1040 Brussels

Access and opening times